Subdomains the answer?

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:20 02 Nov 07

I've just updated my website for the first time in a while, and it's getting a bit crowded. I have quite a bit more content to add to the site and was wondering whether using sub domains would be the answer.

They would save me having to plough through a maze of pages (898 at the moment) when updating, but would it deter the visitor when redirected to sub domains for certain sections?

Or do you have a better solution?

Cheers, Whiz...

Forum Editor 07:38 02 Nov 07

as sites get bigger, navigation and site maintenance become more complex.

Sub-domains are one answer, and if you think carefully about how you manage the links your visitors aren't going to be too concerned. Alternatively you can simply redesign the site's directory heirarchy - with careful planning you can run separate topics in sub-directories on the main structure, removing the need for sub-domains.

Your site looks pretty good, and the navigation isn't a problem, so maybe you just need a sitemap - it will help you to keep things well-organised, and it would be a useful addition for your visitors.

barryoneoff.co.uk 09:19 02 Nov 07

NOF does it's own site maps, but I've never tried it. I may have a try.

The trouble is at the moment, that there are so many menu buttons that some wont be seen until they drop down from others. For instance, to get to the statues (on the City page)you have to go through people and places. If a visitor doesn't hover over this button then they don't know the statue pages exist.

I have had to arrange it this way to stop the drop down lists becoming too long.

Thanks, I'll look into site maps.

CodeMeister 09:48 02 Nov 07

Consider using a Suckerfish CSS menu.

Very affective for grouping menu items together, cross-browser, very easy to implement and doesn't require Javascript to be enabled on the client machine.

click here for an example

barryoneoff.co.uk 10:45 02 Nov 07

my own version similar to that on the site but it's still crowded. I don't use it on the home page though.

mco 13:11 02 Nov 07

I use NOF but I don't actually rate their sitemap much -it's Java and it took a while to load and not everyone could see it - in fact, I took it off one site and used something I found online instead.

CodeMeister 13:23 02 Nov 07

That's why I suggested the Suckerfish CSS menu, because it is implemented in pure CSS and doesn't require the end user to have Javascript enabled.
Surprisingly many users have Javascript disabled for security reasons.

barryoneoff.co.uk 13:36 02 Nov 07

it's basically the same as I'm using now, drop down menu buttons. I am quite happy with how they work, but it doesn't stop the clutter of many buttons, some of which aren't seen until you go down a level.

CodeMeister 17:52 02 Nov 07

Maybe breadcrumb links could be the answer.

click here for more details.

barryoneoff.co.uk 22:39 02 Nov 07

where they can go, not where they have been. I think you are mistaking what I'm trying to do. If you look at the amount of buttons there are for each separate section, it's beggining to get complicated (both for me adding pages and the visitor finding them) so I thought a few sub domains might help.

DieSse 23:02 03 Nov 07

I think FE has the answer for you.

Put your main sections into separate folders - put their sections into separate folders.

Result will be a much simpler and easier to maintain set of sections/folders, rather than one humungous big site.

I have a sire with three language versions - each version is in it's own folder and can be maintained and updated on it's own. The "introduction" section is the top level of the structure - which links into the appropriate folder dependant on the language selection.

No need for sub-domains at all. The user won't even notice - but your task will be much simplified.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…