sub domains

louandel 11:14 29 Jul 06

When I first got my domain name from 1and1 I was told i had a sub domain. Can anyone tell me the use of this? Is it connected to the main domain? Can it be a seperate domain altogether? Is it smaaler than the main Domain?

thank you

louandel

powerless 12:18 29 Jul 06

www . domain . com

example . domain . com < A subdomain.

Up to you what you use it for, you can have anything you want on/in there. It's tied into your domain so it can't be used seperatley. It can be the same, if not bigger than the domain.

Control Panel > Domains > New > Create Subdomain

ade.h 15:38 29 Jul 06

It's useful for seperately identifying different sections or subjects of a site. The sub-domain does not have its own server directory, but is instead "mapped" to a folder that you create under the top-level domain, into which the contents of the sub-domain - complete with its own index - must be loaded. The server sorts out the links.

Forum Editor 15:44 29 Jul 06

enables you to run a separate set of files - a web site perhaps - within the directory structure of your web space; in what's called the root of your main directory.

Suppose for a moment that you registered the domain name: firstwebsite.com and had it hosted on a web server. So far, so good, but then you want to run a forum, and you want your members to click through to it from your main website.

What you could do is set up a subdomain called: forum.firstwebsite.com, and keep a whole separate website on it. You would put all the site pages into the subdomain folder, and anyone who entered: forum.firstwebsite.com into their browser's address bar would get the subdomain's homepage.

What you can't do is host a separate doman name within a subdomain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…