Sub Domains?

Martyn23 18:40 19 Feb 06

I am looking at using a web host and wondered if my web site click here is classed as a subdomain of click here

My site has a weather station with monthly reports stored on seperate pages accessed from a master index. If this was classed as a sub domain I would have to be very careful to ensure that I had a sufficient number of sub domains available.

Have a look at the site and you will see what I mean.

Thanks
Martyn

ade.h 19:41 19 Feb 06

No. You have a sub-domain of Freeserve, in much the same way as update . microsoft . com (spaces added for obvious reasons).

A service that offers sub-domains is designed for this purpose.

Martyn23 20:14 19 Feb 06

So does this mean that if I use my new domain name e.g. mydomainname.com and then mydomainname.com/anotherpage that this is not classed as a sub domain?

Thanks
Martyn

Forum Editor 21:02 19 Feb 06

is simply a url - it points to a page inside the website that is uploaded to mydomainname.com

a sub domain would be addressed as:

subdomainame.mydomainname.com/

Martyn23 21:18 19 Feb 06

I think I understand.

My concern was that I have many sub folders under my current freeserve account. If I moved to a web host I am limited to 50 sub domains but as my pages are all sub folders currently i.e. freeserve.co.uk/otherpages these would not count towards my 50 sub domains.

I think I am confusing Sub folders mydomain.co.uk/otherpages with sub domains otherpages/mydomain.co.uk if I am right with this I will not be limited to the number of sub folders.

Please confirm that I am right with my thoughts before I set up my new web hosting account.

Many thanks
Martyn

Forum Editor 21:34 19 Feb 06

inside your website as you like. With large, complax sites it helps to create sub-directories, so that you can keep lots of image files (for instance) organised. If you had a site about endangered species you might have one section for each major continent, and you could create separate sub-directories for files relating to a single continent.

Sub-domains are different. With sub-domains you can create entire, separate websites. So, using my endangered species example, you could have a separate site for africa as a subdomain of the main endangered-species.com site. Then, your visitors would go to africa.endangered-species.com where you would have a distinct site, just for that continent.

Martyn23 21:39 19 Feb 06

Many thanks from a wiser web creator.

Regards

Martyn

Forum Editor 21:39 19 Feb 06

a sub-directory would be addressed like this:-

endangered-species.com/africa/filename

a sub-domain would be addressed like this:-

africa.endangered-species.com

Then, in the latter case, you could have subdirectories like this:-

africa.endangered-species.com/subfolder/filename

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…