Sub "£350" Camcorder that takes Good "Stills"

AnthonyB 03:19 11 Jan 05

I'm VERY new to camcorders (never used one before in fact). however, I would like to know of a good DV(i)?) camcorder that takes stills as good as Digital Cameras - well, 2-3 megapixels anyway, and in this way, I wouldn't need a digital camera perhaps. The video quality is more a priority mind, but if I can get a camcorder with a built in "camera", for about £300-350, then it would be very useful. I will have a search rounfd later, but aren't SONY quite good in this department (by bro in law got a sony for Christmas)

stlucia 13:26 11 Jan 05

I think you'll find that all budget video cameras are nearer to 1 megapixels, or even less.

So far as video quality is concerned, you're probably only going to watch your videos on a TV so 1 mp is plenty. When buying, all you really need to watch out for is that the zoom should be optical rather than digital -- digital zoom reduces the definition in direct proportion to the amount of zoom you specify, whereas optical zoom retains the full definition.

Salinger 13:52 11 Jan 05

Why not do a re-think and go for a Digital Still Camera that makes good video as well?

The Konica Minolta Z2 should be available for less than £200. 10x OPTICAL Zoom, 4 MP and takes video at 800x600 (SVGA) Video is limited only by the size of the SD Card. Video plays back in QuickTime.

gobi 14:23 11 Jan 05

I don't think so. Sub £400 camcorder's still picture is only good on the pc - not for printing. Either increase the budget for a higher spec model, or buy a cheap camcorder and digital camera.

AnthonyB 17:57 11 Jan 05

Thanks all for the replies, well, I have a Kodak CX7330 coming (long story) so will just go for quality on the Video camera now then (or at least think that way - even if i end up getting both:)

TomJerry 18:19 11 Jan 05

Samsung has a model (have not seen it myself yet) does both well because it has two lens one for moving and one for still

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…