Sub £300 PC (tower only)

giblets46 18:01 15 Nov 07

Hi all,
looking to get a new PC, my existing one has just about had it (its about 4-5yrs old in an 8yr old case which sounds like a hovercraft), and not been reading much about PC's for a while and so lost touch with specs etc.

Anyway, looking for a new PC, other rather just the tower, have upgraded my Monitor, keyboard, speakers etc, so don't really need new ones. I also don't need Windows for it (as can use my current copy).

What do I use it for? Well the usual web surfing, e-mails, downloading, storing music and playing the odd game (Civilization etc), but nothing major. I have a few decent components on my old system I could add on ( maybe add my dvd writer).
Quite comfortable upgrading at a later date, so spare slots would be good.

Looking at a budget of £300, (as I saw a gladiator proteus x2 4600 at £309), is that any good or there better stuff out there?

Totally-braindead 18:16 15 Nov 07

You have a bit of a choice here click here the cheapest come with onboard graphics which isn't all that good but as long as you bear in mind they only have a 400 watt power supply(the cheaper ones anyway) you could easily add a graphics card like this click here or if you can afford a little bit more you could add a slightly better one, but if you're not into gaming a 7600GS would do you.
Obviously the more you pay the better processor etc you get but any of them would do you from what you say you need. The more expensive ones already have a graphics card such as the Isys EX range.

Strawballs 22:36 15 Nov 07

I am all in favour of using Novatech but don't forget to add the price of the O/S

keef66 13:39 16 Nov 07

Don't worry too much about having a lot of spare PCI slots; todays motherboards come with decent sound, ethernet, usb 2, firewire etc etc built in. There's very little you'll be wanting to add later.

Beware if your copy of windows is OEM, you won't be able to use it on the new pc, but if it's a retail copy you're OK as long as you take it off the old one.

I'd recommend a Novatech mobo bundle with a Core 2 Duo E6750 and 2gb ram, and the best power supply and graphics card you can afford.

griffon56 23:31 18 Nov 07

Power Computing has been around since 1985, unlike some other highflyers (Time, Tiny, Evesham and plenty of others). They are one of the few which still advertise in mags like Computer Shopper (1st Class) and they have a site at click here. They have units starting with mobo bundles at something like £89 and going up to flash outfits at £559. There's some around £260 which have an OS included with a choice of XP or Vista. It wouldn't do any harm to have a look.

sihart 01:15 19 Nov 07

There are a couple of machines recommended here: click here that fit the bill. The first has a Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD and Vista Home Basic or XP Home, it comes with a monitor but you can deselect that to get it within your budget. The second is a HP with an AMD Turion 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz cpu, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD and Vista Home Basic for £300 and £50 cash back =£250.

Proclaimer 12:30 23 Nov 07

Custom boxes or full kit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017