SU0013 Error - Quick Question

darkjedimistress 09:28 07 Aug 03

Hi there. I posted a thread yesterday regarding a SU0013 Error I was receiving when trying to load windows. To summarise, my pc was fine and all of a sudden one day it decided it would boot into windows anymore and not even log into safe mode as it told me the Registry was corrupted.

The system ran with 2 HDD's a 40Gb Master (partitioned over 2 areas) and a 60Gb Slave (partitioned into 4 areas).

It looks like the 40Gb drive is going to fail as when I was trying to scandisk and format it, it was clicking loudly and making funny noises. So I assume that this is on it's way out.

Now what I am trying to do is I have changed the 60Gb drive to the master and have formatted the first partition of the drive although I am suspecting because I haven't reformatted the whole of the hard drive (which means losing all my backup data which I don't want to do) that the system will not like me installing windows to a previously used Slave drive. When I look in Fdisk is shows the 4 partitions but shows the active drive as the whole 60gb drive rather than the C: partition so this is why I assume I am getting a SU0013 error?

Would it seem reasonable that if I bought a new HDD for my master I could keep the slave in the same place ,I can't afford to lose my data on the 60gb drive so formatting it is not an option.

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

I have tried all the recommended microsoft support advice regarding SU0013. I have disabled the virus protection in the BIOS etc.

darkjedimistress 09:33 07 Aug 03

This is the message I am receiving and Microsoft's advice.

ERROR I GET ON WINDOWS INSTALL
SU0013

Error SU0013
Setup could not create files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows. If you have HPFS or Windows NT file system, you must create an MS-DOS boot partition. If you have LANtastic server or SuperStor compression, disable it before running Setup. See SETUP.TXT on Setup Disk 1 or the Windows CD-ROM.

MICROSOFT ADVICE
You may receive this error message if you install Windows 95 over Windows 95 OSR2 and you are using the FAT32 file system on your hard disk. You may also receive this error message if you are running EZ Drive and you have the Floppy Boot Protection option enabled in EZ Drive. To resolve this behavior, disable the Floppy Boot Protection option in EZ Drive. For additional information about this error message, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Now the only thing I haven't a clue about is how does one disable Floppy Boot Protection? Can't see any option in my bios and there is no 3rd party software running as the HDD is clean of any system files.

JoeC 09:43 07 Aug 03

to be honest, but have been following your threads on this subject. I had a look and found these links which might explain / help.

click here

click here

darkjedimistress 09:46 07 Aug 03

Perhaps the factor of the HDD about to fail and the setup on the slave drive not being formatted correctly has been the base of the problem. Tonight when I get home I can see if I can spend another 4 hours trying to solve this! :)

I do actually have a brand new 8Gb drive that I was going to put into someone else pc, I will try this as my master just to see if the BIOS has been affected in some way or if the HDD's are really the problem or not. At least if it doesn't work I will know that WHATEVER HDD I use I will have a problem so then it will be a BIOS/Motherboard issue for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…