Stuttering PC

Sisha 13:56 06 Apr 03

System spec:

CPU: AMD XP2000
MOBO: KT3 ULTRA2 (VIA KT333 CHIPSET)
HD: 80GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200 RPM
512MB (1 STICK) OF KINGSTON DDR 2700 RAM
GRAPHICS CARD PNY GEFORCE 4 64MB ON BOARD GRAPHICS CARD (AGP)
SOUND CARD: SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY 1
LAN CARD: REALTECH
LG: CDRW
LG: DVDROM

My PC keeps stuttering and I am not sure why?

I regularly make sure that all drivers are up to date and one thing that involved is using MSI’s auto updating software for updating the mother boards BIOS.
After updating the BIOS the last time I noticed that the PC began stuttering. Programs were starting to take longer to start and would sometimes hang.
I thought this may have been the memory at the time as I also added an extra stick of memory (the system at the time was on 256mb of which I added another 256mb stick)

I removed the new memory but the pc continued to stutter.

IE6 started to hang a lot as well. I tried repairing this but it still hangs.

Windows explorer stutters as well?

I wondered if all of this was due to me updating the bios and have re installed it but the problem still exists?

I thought perhaps there was a problem with the old memory and have replaced it with 1 stick of 512mb of Kingston DDR2700 RAM.

The problem still exists.

The PC has no problem using system intensive games such as “splinter cell” but I still have problems with basic windows operations.

I have noticed that when I repaired IE6 the creative startup music played. Could this have anything to with this?

My BIOS does sometimes seem to reset itself?

Sorry about war and piece but the more info the better I think.

Please help

woodchip 14:16 06 Apr 03

First put your Windows disc in the comp stop it running, then go to start/run and type SFC press enter and look for corrupt files. Second download Tweak UI from click here version 1.33 unzip and to install right click on the file with the .INF extension choose install from the list. It will put the program in the Control Panel, use the drop-down for repair and choose SYSTEM files and click repair and restart your computer. see if the above help's in any way

slimbo51 15:40 06 Apr 03

Is.Is.Is (stuttering) ur power supply big enough to take the load ur puting on it...?

Had a comp once doing same thing.

A tatty old 250w poor quality psu was fitted running alot of heavy current devices, so It had a tendancy to be unstable.

A good quality 350w psu solved the prob for ever.

tony-240768 15:59 06 Apr 03

Is your virus scanner enabled permenently?.

Sisha 09:30 07 Apr 03

OK, a few to answer there, I will do my best.
Have run sfc and dx diag (might as well check them both is suppose) no problems there.
PSU is a 350W system.
I use norton AVR and I do leave the guard/shield thingy on all of the time but it never used to give that problem.
One thing i forgot to mention was that occasionaly I get a warning on boot telling me taht the CPU fan is not working (of which it clearly is?). When this happens i have to go into my bios and re enter my bios settings

Kyomii 09:39 07 Apr 03

>>>My BIOS does sometimes seem to reset itself?<<<

Indicative of a failing CMOS battery.

Also, if you are getting warnings about CPU fans, run without the side of the case on to make sure that the fan is working effectively because this can damage your processor if not.

Have you checked swap file settings? Also is your ram allocated for programs or background tasks?

When you did a re-install, did you turn off boot sector virus control in the BIOS AND did you delete partition and recreate a new one?

Sisha 09:59 07 Apr 03

Thanks for that.
Since the problems started I have been running with the case open just to make sure.
I wondered about the CMOS battery but have not really checked that. What would be the best way?
I am not convinced my the bios MSI use on there boards. You really do have to keep going in to check things an awfull lot.

"Have you checked swap file settings? Also is your ram allocated for programs or background tasks?" Not sure of the nest settings or where to check for ram running background tasks. Any help on that would be well received.

Boot sector virus is always off and I did delete the old partitions with the seagate software (have to use this with win98se, some kind of bug explained to me by seagate) I also ran there "fill the drive with zero's" software to make sure everything was cleaned.

Tog 11:47 07 Apr 03

The fan warning at boot may simply be because the PC is booting and checking the fan before it has time to come on speed. If you want to discount the fan, use a mainboard monitor such as the one here click here Your motherboard is listed as suitable.

Sisha 15:50 07 Apr 03

IRQ SETTINGS

00 SYSTEM TIMER
01 STANDARD 101/102-KEY OR MICROSFOFT KEYBOARD.
02 PROGRAMMABLE INTERRUPT CONTROLLER.
03 COM 2
04 COM1
05 ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING
05 ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING
05 VIA PCI TO USB ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER
05 CREATIVE SB AUDIGY
06 STANDARD FLOPPY DISK CONTROLLER
07 PRINTER PORT LPT1
08 SYSTEM CMOS/REALTIME CLOCK
09 SCI IRQ USED BY ACPI BUS
10 ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING
10 REALTECH RTL8139/810X FAMILY FAST ETHERNET NIC
11 ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING
11 VIA TECH 3038 PCI TO USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
11 PCI OHCI COMPLIANT IEEE 1394 HOST CONTROLLER
11 NVIDIA GEFORCE MX440
12 PS/2 COMPATIBLE MOUSE PORT
13 NUMERIC DATA PROCESSOR
14 VIA BUS MASTER PCI IDE CONTROLLER
14 PRIMARY IDE CONTROLLER (DUAL FIFO)
15 VIA BUS MASTER PCI IDE CONTROLLER
15 SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER (DUAL FIFO

Sisha 09:40 10 Apr 03

When typing in a login name (e.g. for an email user name) I get a five to ten second delay the text actualy appears ????
What on earth is causing that?

Tog 12:06 10 Apr 03

Our company firewall/AV software causes a similar problem on my PC on or off-line. There is a background task running update checks for the firewall and av which takes precedence over everything else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…