Stuttering Media Player

tolly2 00:15 03 Feb 05

when playing audio files or video files in media player, they start to stutter.

I get no error messages or other indications.

Any ideas anyone ??

GaT7 00:55 03 Feb 05

Try reinstalling WMP over itself - this usually fixes most problems.

If using WinXP & WMP10: Shutdown running processes before reinstalling. Double-click on the WMP10 setup file 'MP10Setup' (or MP10Setup.exe) & follow the wizard to reinstall. To get a fresh copy of WMP10 (if you don't already have it) click here.

If using Win9x/ME & WMP9: Shutdown running processes before reinstalling. Navigate to Program Files\Windows Media Player & double-click on the file 'setup_wm' (or setup_wm.exe) & follow the wizard to reinstall. G

tolly2 09:38 03 Feb 05

Thanks crossbow7,

what do you mean by 'running processes'? and how do I shut them down?

Stuartli 09:48 03 Feb 05

Ctl+Alt+Del in XP. You will get a panel up; highlight each running process and click on End Task.

You should also shut down Notification items as much as possible; again right click on the icon and select Exit/Quit or whatever is used.

But it might be best first to check that all File Types are Enabled from Tools>Options>File Types and that you have the WMP9 codecs pack installed.

Even better would be the K-lite standard video and audio codecs pack from:

click here

which covers virtually all the codecs likely to be required.

Stuartli 09:53 03 Feb 05

You DO also have a hardware or software DVD decoder installed...?

wotbus@ 10:28 03 Feb 05

I have found media players [especially when playing video], use a lots of memory; lack of which causes the same symtoms you have. 2 alternatives - shutdown all the extra processes as advised and/or increase memory. Running a program called Casheman5.5 [free from this site] - memory booster tool - may help. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…