//some 3rd party need geo

Stupid question about new hard drive

PaulCrane 13:08 01 Jul 04

I've just bought a new hard drive. One side has exposed circuit boards and it looks like it should be cased on both sides. I'm not at home so I can't check what the hard drive in my PC looks like - is this right? I've never really looked at a hard drive before and all the pictures I can find are with the platters visible.

Help please.

Thanks

PaulC

justme 13:13 01 Jul 04

First, there are no stupid questions. If you don't know something and want to find an answer it is not stupid.

Most hard drives are exactly as you described. Since they are fitted inside the computer case there is generally no need for them to be covered. It also helps with the cooling of the drive.

Just make sure that when you are fitting the drive that you wear an antistatic wrist strap and do not touch the exposed circuit board.

Quiller. 13:13 01 Jul 04

Yes. What you have is normal. When you fit it, have the circuit board facing down.

€dstowe 13:15 01 Jul 04

It is correct.

You can normally see the circuit board at the underside.

If you can see the platters, there is something definitely wrong!!!

The metal top should have labels with details of the model and the layout of jumpers. (Also on that says do not remove).

PaulCrane 13:16 01 Jul 04

It helpful to know before I took the drive home and started fiddling around with it.

PaulC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…