A stupid question but...

kuhbler 20:14 10 Oct 04

I feel embarrassed asking this, but it's been so long since I've dealt with any OEM software!

I need to buy a copy of WinXP. The OEM versions I see for sale are about 50ish quid. Will this work on any computer with no probs? I'm looking at getting a copy from click here .

Sion 20:18 10 Oct 04

Yes, but the law is that you have to purchase a piece of hardware. This is from Ebuyers website..

OEM Information: You receive a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and a CD containing the program on it. This is a legal OEM version of the product licensed by Microsoft to be sold with any "Must be purchased with another computer hardware component!" and is bundled as such. OEM products are not retail packaged and will not contain a manual. OEM versions cannot be returned under any reasons.

I think that buying a modem can suffice sometimes, depends how generous the retailer is feeling.

Dorsai 20:24 10 Oct 04

Basically yes.

With an OEM version, any telephone support will come from the company you bought the (supposed) PC from.

But who need Phone support at £mega/pounds a minute.

Post the problem here, for free, and get a far wider support base.

click here

Dorsai 20:26 10 Oct 04

PS, not a stupid question.

Sion 20:28 10 Oct 04

Thats true Dorsai, not a stupid question indeed. About 18months ago I wanted to get myself an OEM copy of windows XP, but wasn't soo sure what the catch was. Luckily, the folks at Aria.co.uk posted on the website what you need to do in order to get OEM software.

Lionheart ? 20:33 10 Oct 04

As Dorsai said, not a stupid question, theres no such thing on this Forum.

Djohn 21:03 10 Oct 04

As above have said. No such thing as a stupid question. OEM is the cheapest option but by "licence" should stay with the PC it was first bought for.

Retail version can be used with any PC as long as you only have it on 1 PC at a time and that is the biggest difference between the two.

If you buy retail your only entitled to ask two questions from Microsoft support free of charge, all others will cost in the region of £187.00 each if they are done by phone to tech support.

Most shops will sell without buying any hardware but should only sell with hardware to stay within the licence stipulations.

Cheap Mouse or keyboard will comply as you need at least one of these to operate your PC and therefore they are an essential piece of hardware.

kuhbler 22:08 10 Oct 04

Thank you all! That's answered my questions.

spuds 00:16 11 Oct 04

Ebuyer click here will supply. Use Quickfind code 66489 [XP Home with SP2] or Quickfind code 66490 [XP Pro with SP2].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…