Stupid little problem with Volume icon

Chris the Ancient 10:14 01 Nov 09

Not earth-shattering, but a puzzle.

Using XP Home.

Each time I start my pc, the volume icon is not present in the System Tray. Trying to do anything in Past Items doesn't help.

Can't see anything in sevices.msc that might help.

So, I have to go back to the Control Panel/Sounds, uncheck the 'Show icon in task bar, Ok it, recheck the show box and OK it.

Any ideas as to why this might happen?

exodus 10:50 01 Nov 09

Remove sound drivers, reboot and install again.

birdface 10:57 01 Nov 09

Try right clicking the taskbar and select properties.Customize.And look for the sound icon it will have a dropdown bar beside it make sure always show is showing Ok.Apply Ok.
If you press the arrow on the Taskbar to show hidden icons does it show or is there no arrow.

Chris the Ancient 11:10 01 Nov 09

exodus...
In the depths of a serious project at the moment - and having a quick look, there seem to be a lot of drivers that might be 'the one'. So I'll have to wait until later before looking deeper and trying that out.

buteman...
Didn't make myself 100% clear there :-\ Have tried all sorts in the customize and past items area. All to no avail.

Chris the Ancient 11:14 01 Nov 09

Did a quick Google on the topic. Not a lot of help there. The best that anyone came up with is that after a few times of going through resetting it each boot, the icon will remember what to do.

As I have just recently changed my keyboard to one that has multimedia controls on it (including a 'mute' control) and loaded the appropriate drivers for it, that might have upset things a bit and the above paragraph may become true.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…