Stupid Laptop user uninstalls touchpad...

drewster 10:16 25 Feb 03

I have been having trouble with the touchpad on my Gateway laptop having a mind of its own. For some reason I was under the impression that there was a particular programme which allowed me to configure the touchpad. I decided this programme was causing the problem, so I uninstalled it...

When I rebooted as requested, I discovered that not only does the touchpad not work, but the keyboard doesn't either. In order for me to get it back to strength, I suspect I'll either have to start again completely, or perhaps download the software and try to autorun on the laptop.

Any advice?

temp003 10:25 25 Feb 03

It seems Windows' own default keyboard driver doesn't work with your laptop keyboard.

Go to Gateway's support downloads site click here Go through the Steps to select your model, Windows version and part (keyboard), and click Display Results. You should find a keyboard driver. Follow the instructions to install it. See if that works.

drewster 14:05 25 Feb 03

Thanks. Problem is: assuming I can download the relevant driver on my desktop, I thn have to get it to autorun on the laptop. Given the size of the driver, I will have to put it on cd rather than floppy. How do I ensure that it autoruns? Or is there a way I can get the laptop to read the cd?

Lú-tzé 14:45 25 Feb 03

Any chance that you can plug in an external keyboard - USB or PS2? Then windows may recognise it.

drewster 15:28 25 Feb 03

Tried that just now - both keyboards work at initial stages (if pressing F8 to get into safe mode), but once password demanded to get into windows, neither keyboard worked.

jazzypop 16:51 25 Feb 03

Can you plug in an external mouse (serial or PS/2)? This will allow you to access the CD and install the drivers.

drewster 17:01 25 Feb 03

Have tried external mouse in normal mouse socket (didn't work), but understand that if I use a mouse through the USB port, it should work. Is it normally possible to get such mice here?

jazzypop 17:09 25 Feb 03

Any PC store (real or online) should stock USB mice.

drewster 17:17 25 Feb 03

THanks for all your help - will try to get hold of a USB mouse and see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…