Student XP licence - forget it!

The Belarussian Mafia 18:29 21 Feb 04

Just to say that after researching how to purchase a student XP licence using this forum last Autumn (see thread titled "WinXP Student License?", etc.) I have just discovered that MS has now withdrawn student licences. I got this from the horse's mouth click here (MS's official UK distributor, so they say).
Goodbye Windows, hello Linux...

hugh-265156 18:36 21 Feb 04

where does it say this please?

click here

hugh-265156 18:37 21 Feb 04
  The Belarussian Mafia 18:54 21 Feb 04

Thanks huggyg71. I'm afraid your 1st link only relates to Office XP (not WinXP). The second link you posted starts to load, then is dropped for some reason.

Djohn 19:09 21 Feb 04

Thats strange. All three links work for me but I can't find any reference to Microsoft discontinuing Student/Teacher versions of software. In fact quite the opposite, Microsoft say it's alive and well and also list "Insight" as an official stockist.

Not sure what you mean by "So they say" when you refer to "Insight".

Regards. j.

Chegs ® 19:13 21 Feb 04

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade**
This is an upgrade licence only. Students wishing to acquire the Windows XP Professional Upgrade licence through the Student Select agreement must first have a qualifying operating system on their home PC/Workstation or Laptop.
click here

The Belarussian Mafia 20:22 21 Feb 04

Chegs - nice link, however I suspect the "CHEST" licenses are actually for institutions rather than students. I followed the link to the CHEST site, and under "FAQs" read the folowing: "These agreements are usually for 3 or 5 years, almost all being for site licences...".
This also seemed to be the gist of what "Insight" said to me in their recent e-mail: "Hi,there are no longer and student versions only academic versions, this means they have to be purchased by an academic authority." (Direct quote.)
I have a "qualifying OS" for an upgrade, but I fear MS is no longer selling student upgrades to individuals. (I should say I am a bone fide full-time student, incidentally.)
NB: huggyg71 and Djohn - when I said "so they say" I meant I cannot vouch for this info. I had simply read this in the forum thread I mentioned above.
Any further comments/info greatly appreciated.

Chegs ® 20:51 21 Feb 04

I read a bit recently(but buggered if I can relocate it)that M$ ARE still doing "student licences" and you no longer have to prove you actually are a student.So,if you went to Dixons and bought XP Pro,the assistant HAS to accept your word.

The Belarussian Mafia 20:57 21 Feb 04

Ta Chegs. I'll give it a go and post the result in this thread...
(By the way huggyg71 - there's nothing wrong with your 2nd link; I think it was just my internet connection at the time.)

Sir Radfordin 21:19 21 Feb 04

Students can buy from Pugh if they can prove they are a student at a FE/Uni that is a CHEST member.

JerryJay 21:43 21 Feb 04

speak to computer center of your uni and they normally deal with this. In some univ, there are store sells stuff including student licenced software. Even they do not sell directly, they normally know how to get it.

An OEM version of WinXP home costs £62 from ebuyer click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…