Stuck on Windows Start Up

Notebound 03:58 21 Jul 06

I am running Windows XP on a Intel Pentium 4 550J Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB Cache and everytime I start my computer it either gets stuck at the windows loading screen or at the start up welcome screen.

Earlyer today in the morning I hopped on the computer and it worked fine, but I was in a hurry and shut it down but also held power button cause it wasn't fast enough, and it turned off fine. I have done this before with out problems. Later in the afternoon, I start it over and over and over and over and it never loads. Always stalls before desktop. I have tried safe mode, and it still dosn't load. I tried last good configerations and all the other options in f8 and nothing works. I did a virus and spyware scan just before bed the night before and nothing was found.

I put windows XP disc in and tried installing xp, and all the partition spots are open, but i tried to install and i get blue screen of death: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

I tried making a diskette start up but dosn't seem to work, and I tried fixboot and chkdsk finds a couple errors.

sooooooooo, I guess I'm wondering if theres still any way to save all my documents and what possibly could have caused this... Any help would be nice.

skidzy 07:01 21 Jul 06

Some interesting reading
click here

lodger 08:07 21 Jul 06

blue screens very common, I call them pretty reminders to save my work, they are certainly not screens of death :).....I've had hundreds of blue screens over the years and my 15 year old pentium is still going strong....new pcs can stall and get blue screens as often if more so than old ones, any simple start up file error will trigger a blue screen..if you fail to shut down properly u trigger a blue screen....so all work must MUST be saved, because some problems are best fixed by a good clean HD format......., but i would keep trying to get her started. .go through the routines again....give her some time.........if your work is really vital, then you have the ultimate option of taking the pc to pc world for hd recovery onto a dvd.....then you could format and start again

Notebound 22:44 21 Jul 06

I have tried everything over again, nothing. I do have a new idea though but i need to get into recovery console and make a folder and add and delete files, but every time i try to create a folder or add/delete files it says access denied... I never added passwords to access anything on my computer. How do I get past that?

lodger 12:10 22 Jul 06

if you bought secondhand ur pc might have some kind of network password installed...or a display model from he dreaded pcworld might have hidden passwords.......all can be removed on the mobo jumper settings......did u ever use any sort of networking? .u say u r trying to create new files....so, how far can u get now? does it boot up ?

Notebound 17:42 22 Jul 06

I'm using Windows XP Recovery, but any command like copy or delete or MD dosnt work, i get access denied.

Since i can't even install XP, I'm thinking its either a memory problem, or a hard drive problem, so I'm considering buying a new hard drive, but how hard would you say it is to install, in a laptop? (never installed one or have a clue about laptops) This computer is less then a year old out of Alienware and these problems already? hmmm... I would throw this back at them if I had a warrenty.

Gongoozler 17:54 22 Jul 06

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is associated with a memory problem, but not always caused by faulty memory. How much memory does your computer have and is it in more than one module?

You can usually get away with switching off at the power switch, but if Windows is in the process of moving data about, the result can be very unpredictable and possibly disastrous.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 22 Jul 06

XP is using a defective area in memory not used by other programs. The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA typically has something to do with memory problems. It may also be due to incompatible software or you have a corrupt driver from not shutting down properly.

try the Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic tests at click here

Also try a repair install (this will stop you losing all your data)

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

skidzy 18:43 23 Jul 06

Please do not contact forum members via the email link unless invited.I appreciate your email and your problem,but if you look at the thread,there is help here and someone is always availble to help further.

Regarding your email:

I tried to read the solution but i must register (and that costs money :S ), so would it be possible for you to share the solution to it with me? click here :D thanks.

If you scroll down the link i posted,there is some info that may help you.

Better still,following Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggestions may prove better for you.

Hope i hav'nt sounded to moody.

Good luck

woodchip 18:45 23 Jul 06

Have you tried getting into windows Safe Mode by tapping F8 as computer starts. Then Run System Restore to a old date

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant