stuck on win 98then freeze

Ming Bloke 19:52 01 Apr 03

I have/had a problem. When I boot up, the screen would freeze on the Windows 98 screen and do nothing. I booted up in safe mode no problems but the help menu didn't help. I ran 'scanreg/fix' and it was the same.I ran scanreg/restore and it seems ok but for a few thins like my documents folder is on my taskbar bottom left but on my desktop it is empty.
When it crashed first I was on the net and watching Star Trek Enterprise at the same time.
celeron 433..192 ram...ATI Rage pro..6gig hd.
what have I done wrong???
thanx

sil_ver 20:40 01 Apr 03

The fact it froze on the startup screen suggests that either a startup prog or a driver is playing up. To check the former go to start/run and type msconfig then click ok, on the screen that appears click on startup progs and untick everything except systray and explorer (if they are there) if your PC starts ok then retick the progs one at a time and reboot until you hit the problem again, that will be the prog that needs uninstalling/reinstalling. If this route doesn't cure it then try reinstalling your drivers as one may have become corrupt due to the crash. One other thing you can try is to click on start/progs/accessories/system tools/system information and run system file checker. If it finds a problem you will need your Win98 CD, if you don't have a Win98 disk only a restore disk you will need to point to C:\windows\options\cabs where all the Win98 files are stored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…