stubborn viruses

Garb 18:13 10 Jul 06

WinXP Pro SP2

Have been using AVG antivirus but recently started getting notifications of a virus in Windows\System32 folder. AVG was unable to delete the problem file. Switched system restore OFF. Windows started getting slower over the next few days. Loaded the free trial of avast anti virus.Tried to use trend micro's on line virus checker but kept losing the connection and sometimes it would drop out just as it was reaching the stage where it deleted the virus files. Tried Spyware doctor in safe mode and it got rid of quite a few infections namely Trojan :small and "ruins" and Qhost. went back into normal windows mode thinking everything was fine and started getting messages that avast was intercepting a trojan being downloaded from http:\85.255.117.124/users/rainy/web/images/logo.jpg. Avast did this a few times then locked up. Have spyware blaster loaded and when I went into it, noticed 15 sites had been unblocked in the internet explorer protection. All sites with names I remembered from the spyware doctor session. Put the protection back on and it seems to have stayed that way. Windows is now locking up again. Is there any hopeof avoiding a clean reinstall?

andrew-196854 18:28 10 Jul 06

i know this may seem silly but did you unistall avg before you put avast on as they will confilct and not work together ,and also slow your system down

Garb 23:21 10 Jul 06

Have now uninstalled AVG but result still the same. Anyone any idea why the files keep coming in from the above IP address and what I can do to stop them and/or the annoying popups from avast antivirus. Can I block this address permanently elsewhere?

skidzy 00:17 11 Jul 06

Garb..you mentioned your AV but nothing about a firewall.

Download Zonealarm free edition click here

Have you switched SR back on ?

You should be able to block the ip address with a little configuring of zonealarm.

Garb 19:23 11 Jul 06

Unable to configure windows firewall or the free edition of zonealarm to eliminate the IP address that avast says is loading the trojans onto my PC. What worries me is that all the spyware and anti virus programs say they are detecting and removing the problems yet the trojans still keep coming back. If I do a clean reinstall of windows, will that cure it, or is there something that the spyware removers aren't seeing? Any ideas. shared knowledge gratefully recieved.

skidzy 19:32 11 Jul 06

This sounds like your best route for now.

Download Hijack this click here

Then post the log click here

Here they will analyze your log and advise you on the best way to rid your system of the nasties.

Hope this helps

jimv7 19:47 11 Jul 06

Free A2 from click here register, update and run it.

Stuartli 20:02 11 Jul 06

If you wish to get rid of the popups in Avast! (I presume you mean the red ones?), you will have to switch to manual rather than auto updating (which defeats the object really).

Click on the top left button of the Avast! panel>Settings>Update (Basic and Advanced) and choose Manual updating.

Garb 22:33 11 Jul 06

Sorry, by the pop-ups I meant the continual warnings that a trojan bearing site was trying to connect or that a trojan had been detected in my Windows\System32 file. How can this site continually send this stuff to me and how can I block it? I have tried Asquared, spywareblaster, ewido and spyware doctor plus avast antivirus and tried without success to run trend micro housecall in order to get rid of all traces but obviously some little varmint remains each time.

bellababy 23:38 11 Jul 06

>>>

terryf 04:51 12 Jul 06

click here, download to a floppy, rename it to anything.exe, re-boot in safe mode and doule click on the file. It will run and clean or if it finds nothing will not appear to do anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac