Stripping my hard drive

Paulis 13:03 18 Mar 06

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 which I use for my small business. I have been advised that I should strip out the hard drive every 12-18 months for security purposes. All my data is backed up. How do I perform the drive strip and re-installation?

Totally-braindead 13:07 18 Mar 06

I'm not sure what you mean by strip out, do you mean delete everything and reinstall? If so then you could just boot from the CD reformat and reinstall. Or if you want to go further and know the make of the hard drive you may find there are free downloads from the hard drive manufacturer which can write to every part of the hard drive disk majing it impossible to retrieve data.

Diemmess 13:26 18 Mar 06

Security has two aspects both preventive

1) Loss of critical which could severely damage your business.

2) Access to your computer by an unfriendly source with a view to collect your data or corrupt it.

Possible answers

1) Take away backups which can be stored away from your computer.

2) A better lock on the door against physical intruders, or use (1) so that nothing useful is available on site.

Take-away can be best done with your HD/s in caddies, swoppable with duplicate backups.

Totally-braindead 13:45 18 Mar 06

Or you could replace the drive with a new one and reinstall from scratch on the new drive and physically destroy the old one.

woodchip 13:58 18 Mar 06

Well I have hurd some rubbish. I have been advised that I should strip out the hard drive every 12-18 months for security purposes. Do you believe all you read in newspapers?????

Totally-braindead 14:06 18 Mar 06

woodchip I must admit it seems like rubbish to me as well but it depends on what he/she was actually told. I'm wondering if what was meant was to cleanup the hard drive, you know get rid of all the little bits and pieces that have been left behind. If that is what was meant then theres a lot of programs you can use, I use ccleaner click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 14:18 18 Mar 06

You can use this sort of thing if you want to erase all your freespace.(which contains shed loads of stuff)
click here

pj123 16:05 18 Mar 06

Who advised you? Don't know what sort of small business you have but my friend also had something similar told to him. Do you have an EPOS system running? My friend does and it appears this was a tout to get him to update his system to the latest version (£7000).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced