Street View Falls Victim To The Obsessive Meddlers

thumbscrew 11:37 29 Apr 15

After using Street View since its inception, I discovered today that the simple, easy to use version has vanished, to be replaced by an impenetrable screen ....the new "improved" version. Why is it that anything convenient and useful in the world of computing inevitably ends up in the hands of the meddlers? Some desperate bunch of deluded jackasses, hell bent on permanently changing, upgrading and then making things more inconvenient than it initially was, just to satisfy their misplaced ego. Anyone know how we can make it work like it used to, before it fell into the clutches of the "Let's fix it because it ain't broke" idiots?

Batch 12:24 29 Apr 15

I see what you mean.

The basis for this latest incarnation has been around (by default) for some time, but one could invoke the original style by using: maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&output=classic

But that no longer seems to work. Maybe someone will come up with another work-around?

One has to face the fact that Google wants to control YOUR world. They absolutely want you to do things their way, which includes using the Cloud and storing YOUR information on THEIR servers, which is why they try to "encourage" one to sign-in all the time.

thumbscrew 22:56 29 Apr 15

Also, just discovered that now there's a distortion that wasn't there before. Previously straight lines of streets now have a curve that makes the image completely incorrect and ridiculous. What a frigging shambles!

bumpkin 23:08 29 Apr 15

* "Let's fix it because it ain't broke" idiots?*

Totally agree with you, worse than that they get paid for it.

Batch 10:56 01 May 15

Try:

http:// maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&output=lite

(without the space after the //)

Batch 12:01 01 May 15

However, I don't think that old version linked to by the above will be around for long.

Instead you can switch into a "lite" mode within the new maps. Still not good.

See click here for some mealy mouthed google words

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5