Stream audio on my network?

chrisringo 11:37 06 Nov 07

Hi all. I have just bought a new laptop, and I have kept my old one to store all my music and photos etc. I have managed to set up file sharing, and so I can now access my music and pictures from my new machine no problem.

What I want to be able to do is, connect my old laptop to my hi-fi, and be able to control it from my new machine.

My new machine is running vista home premium, and my old one is xp basic. Both machines are wirelessly connected to my router. I don't know what the best option to acheive this is.

From what I can gather, I can't use my old machine to host a remote desktop, as it's only running xp basic. I know I could stream from my new laptop over the internet and pick it up on my old machine, but it seems stupid to have to connect to the internet when they are already wirelssly networked. Surely there is some software available (prefebly free!), that will allow me to stream from my new machine to my old one just on my network? Technically, I guess I wouldn't be streaming from my new machine, as the old one is the one with the files on, but it would be nice to be able to stream internet radio from my new laptop too.

I would appreciate any help or advice for my dilema!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

chrisringo 13:08 06 Nov 07

If anyone's interested, I found some software from click here which is doing the job brilliantly. It isn't free (about £15), but you can trial it for 14 days for free. It was very easy to set up, and interfaces with windows media player or media centre. You can enter URL's for radio staions too, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm still interested if anyone has other solutions!

Cheers,
Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced