Streaky, Tearing Graphics

Bandy 10:28 04 Mar 07

A friend has called me about his HP laptop.

The fault, as described, is that the screen has large amounts of tearing, rather after the fashion of that seen on tv screens when playing back poorly aligned vhs tapes.

It appears as large numbers of horizontal black lines across the screen together with very vigorous vertical jumping. The start bar also goes down below the bottom of the screen.

Evidently this problem appeared once before, but then went away. It is now back with a vengeance, although it does seem to quieten down if the laptop is left on for a period.

Can anyone please point me in a direction to identify the problem

terryf 10:33 04 Mar 07

How old. Still under warranty?

Bandy 10:42 04 Mar 07

Thanks Terrf

No its about 3 years old. He's had his moneys worth out of it in terms of use, but would like to make it last a bit longer - although I have my doubts that is possible

Belatucadrus 10:49 04 Mar 07

Try connecting it to a PC monitor, see if the tearing affect is replicated. That should tell if it's a faulty screen/screen connection or a dying graphics chip.

Bandy 10:59 04 Mar 07

Thanks for that, I should have thought of it earlier,

I've rung my friend who has now gone away to check.

I'll post the response when I get it

knowyour rights! 11:48 04 Mar 07

I had similar problems on a NEC desktop, turned out it only had a 120W power supply in it and could not handle the graphics card adequately.

Bandy 13:01 04 Mar 07

Thanks for evryone's help.

My friend has just rung back to say that the effect has stopped, and thus he can't investigate further - until it comes back again

I'm going up north later in the week and will call on him then.

Meanwhile I will tick is thread as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…