Strange Windows & MS DOS Message Can you help?

Amer 19:20 26 Nov 04

Hi

I have an older Scrabble game type programme on my PC which has always worked fine. But today when I try and open it a box pops up saying

"C/Windows/System32/AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS - DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose to close to terminate application"

I use MS WIndows XP and this message has never appeared today.

Any help appreciated

Amer

mattyc_92 19:31 26 Nov 04

Can you recall deleting ANY files in the last day or so that you haven't made yourself or someone else using your computer?

woodchip 19:32 26 Nov 04

You could find the Program .exe file in Explorer and right click the file Advanced, Make compatable with what the game should run under that may get it working

woodchip 19:33 26 Nov 04

Sorry you also need to click properties to see advanced

Murtaza 19:41 26 Nov 04

can some one please help me when i click on my computer it starts up and then gives a error message for no reason

woodchip 19:46 26 Nov 04

You are forgiven but please start your own thread on the subject

Amer 23:32 26 Nov 04

I had a virus warning from AVG and clicked on delete file.

I also looked at programmes running in background and there are a few I havent noticed before. These are

Dragdiag.exe
wdfmgr.exe
alg.exe
Isass.exe
csrss.exe

and one that sounds strange called

cjhaoac.exe

Dont know if that helps

HAve tried a system restore to week ago but it has not helped

Amer

VoG II 23:36 26 Nov 04

click here

If you have a C:\windows\repair folder try copying the config.nt and autoexec files from there to c:\windows\system32

If not follow the above instructions.

Amer 00:11 27 Nov 04

Thank you so much

Problem solved

Did as you said and the programme now works fine.

But tell me

Firstly how did you know that that was what needed doing and secondly

Whilst I followed your instructions, I have no idea what I have exactly done in computing terms! Can you explaimn in lay man's terms what you asked me to do! If that makes sense.

VoG II 00:20 27 Nov 04

Firstly, this is a common problem and I originally found the solution on the Microsoft site click here

Secondly, you have replaced defective files with versions that work correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…