STRANGE TEXT

geekygirl 16:31 15 Dec 04

Hi

I am perplexed at the behaviour of my PC! When I open my email client (incredimail) I cannot read the text at all. All that is shown is a series of symbols, which if anything look like the greek language. If I knew how to send a sample of this, I would. Have ran and updated ad aware, spybot and avg anti virus but nothing shows up. Have also done an online trojan check and an online norton antivirus/security check.

mattyc_92 16:35 15 Dec 04

You may have deleted a Font or changed a font in some way... For example ther may have been a virus that has been deleted, but effects haven't been changed back to "normal" or.... You may have installed a program recently that had a "faulty" font file and it was installed onto your system..

rawprawn 16:41 15 Dec 04

I don't use Incredimail, but in it's options there should be a setting for Font or Format. Re set it to something sensible like Airial. and see if it resets itself.

geekygirl 16:49 15 Dec 04

Can I change the font in control panel? Having said that when I click on fonts in cp the file is empty? Because I cannot read the text at all in incredimail. And some of the windows applications are affected too, such as the start bit in the bottom left hand corner, and the ie bar right at the top of the window. The text I can read is very small and tiny, as is the text on my desktop.

rawprawn 17:49 15 Dec 04

What operating system ? Have you tried system resore ?

mattyc_92 17:50 15 Dec 04

If you are using WinXP, then just create a "new user account" for yourself and see if that gets rid of the small text....

As for the font problem, try re-installing the program or better still re-install windows over the current installed one and i don't mean format, i mean just insert the windows cd in windows and install it again to "repair" any problems in the windows configuration

rawprawn 18:40 15 Dec 04

If System Restore doesn't work and If it is XP, I would suggest running a system file check if you can. Go to Start/ Run / Type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and / ) you will need your XP Disc. Failing that I suugest you follow the advice from mattyc_92 and "Repair"
and not being a fan I would get rid of Incredimail.

Technotiger 19:23 15 Dec 04

Hi, sorry :-( but I have to come to the 'defence'of Incredimail - I think it is Incredible, I have used it for two years regularly without any problems - all my on-line friends use it too.
Keekygirl.....I hope you get your problem sorted ok. Cheers.

Technotiger 19:27 15 Dec 04

Hi again, I would suggest you right-click on your desktop and go to Properties>AppearanceTab>Font try changing it there? Cheers.

Graham ® 19:42 15 Dec 04

To display the Strange Text, press 'prt scr'. Open Paint, Edit, Paste. Save As JPEG.

Go to click here and browse to the saved file. Click Upload, it will give you a URL to copy and paste on here, like

click here

Graham ® 19:43 15 Dec 04

Click bottom right to enlarge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…