strange problem with wireless router

pete84 16:22 14 Mar 06

Hello all, before i post my problem i must say that im pretty usless with computers, just so u know. I recently purchased a Netgear DG834G WIRELESS Router and wireless USB adapter due to the desire to share internet on another computer (we both run Win XP). The router is plugged into my ethernet port and the wireless adapter is plugged into the second computer. I had a good friend come over and set the whole thing up...heres the strange problem. I can surf and open webpages on both computers no problem....however i am unable to use applications like MSN messanger or play any online games on the computer which is connected to the router via the ethernet port but the computer which is connected to the router via the wireless USB adapter can sign into MSN messanger and the like with no problem.

Everyone i know is at a complete loss to explain and the tech support line i phoned was no help, what is wrong?

johnnyrocker 16:39 14 Mar 06

i too do not know much about wireless but from what i read here and elsewhere it may be router firewall config, but how to go about it not sure, gets you a bump anyway

johnny.

TomG 19:16 14 Mar 06

I've never used netgear but as johnnyrocker suggests it may be a firewall setting - not sure it will make a difference but is the windows firewall turned off on the pc that connects via the cable?

woodchip 19:24 14 Mar 06

Your Firewall is stopping you. ether Software or Router

pete84 20:03 14 Mar 06

The only software firewall i have is from the windows service pack 2..ive tried disabling that and still no effect...i will try disabling the firewall on the router but im not sure that it can be disabled

woodchip 20:13 14 Mar 06

In router you should be able to set it for sites. like mine. [URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…