//some 3rd party need geo

Strange problem with windows

paul654 16:55 09 Apr 05

My PC has developed a strange problem. Yesterday my ADSL modem suddenly went off so I switched the PC off/on and everything came back on fine....then later my scanner wouldn't work and several programmes just wont fire up (Picture it 2002, paintshop pro, photostudio 5), they start but then freeze. Most of my progs plus the internet seem to work OK but several larger progs just wont have it. When I power down and back on, at start-up, I get the message 'We apologise for the inconvenience but Windows XP cannot start automatically due to a hardware/software problem' then gives the option to start anyway or start using previous settings. I'm baffled....I've tried two different System restore setting and still no joy...any ideas before I ring an engineer?
I'm no PC genius so please keep your replies simple....thanks
Athlon XP3000
512 Ram
160 gb HD
Asus A7N8X Mb

LastChip 17:05 09 Apr 05

When is the last time you did a scan for Viruses, Trojans, or Spyware?

paul654 17:07 09 Apr 05

Scanned last night with AVG...found 3 Trojans...cleaned them ok but problems still persist

LastChip 17:15 09 Apr 05

?

paul654 17:30 09 Apr 05

Ran spybot S+D and Adaware....all ok

Technotiger 18:01 09 Apr 05

Hi, I'm no expert, but sounds as if something in XP was corrupted when your modem went walk-about. I would suggest doing a Repair with your XP cd to see if that would fix it.

Cheers.

Indigo 1 18:07 09 Apr 05

Try turning off System Restore and do another scan then don't forget to to put System Restore back on afterwards.

Virus' and Trojans will hide in Sys Res even though you have eliminated them then pop up and continue as if you never scanned.

On the System Restore Welcome panel left hand side click on System Restore Settings.

Technotiger 18:12 09 Apr 05

I second what Indigo 1 has just advised, I didn't think of that. If that does not work, then try a Repair.

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 09 Apr 05

REpair XP
click here

Type
sfc /scannow
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.
This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

LastChip 18:40 09 Apr 05

If you turn it off, you will loose any restore points created and therefore loose the ability to use that possibility. As you have already tried that avenue, it may be an option you're happy to take. Viruses usually show up with what you have done so far and RE-APPEAR as a result of system restore. However, you are indicating the machine is clear.

Try sfc /scannow as suggested by Fruit Bat /\0/\. That may resolve the issue.

Two other things to take a look at are Device Manager and see if there are any devices that are showing as being a problem and take a look at the Error log and see what errors have been generated. Often this is an excellent way of getting pointed in the right direction.

paul654 23:14 09 Apr 05

This may sound like a daft question but how do I check my error log?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…