strange problem when opening apps

iqs 12:10 16 Apr 10

Hi,

Have a PC running XP.
When I click on any program,IE/Firefox/System Restore/Scanners etc,a box appears asking to select a program to open it.

Never seen this before.Any ideas please?.

Thank you

mooly 12:21 16 Apr 10

Have you run a full malware scan ?

I googled your problem and this issue seems to crop up a lot,

click here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:27 16 Apr 10

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Covergirl 12:40 16 Apr 10

They had an in-law to stay who used the PC.

Thereafter it was infected with something which I could not clear out despite several attempts with several different programs.

Files would launch via Explorer or shortcuts but the application would not run from its shortcut or .exe file.

Ended up havng to do a full reinstall of XP with all the updates . . . not funny!

iqs 14:45 16 Apr 10

Hi,

And many thanks for all the help and advice.

I tried all of the above,but still the problem persisted.
To address the problem,I booted into safe mode with command prompt and accessed system restore via the command prompt.

Seems to have worked.

Am now running various virus scans,I'm sure that's what caused the fault.

Will keep you updated.

Once again many thanks for your help.

iqs 18:12 16 Apr 10

Hi,

All sorted now.After accessing system restore I ran a few virus scans,and found a few nasty bugs.

All up and running.

Thanks again for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…