Strange Power up problem

mosstoe 17:57 15 Jan 06

Hello everyone,

I've built my machine myself and it was working just fine until i moved house and reconneced all the componants in my new place,

Now when I switch on the machine from the mains and hit the switch on the powerpack at the back, everything comes on apart from the hard drive (i.e lights, cd drive, fan etc).

Normally this should happen when i press the power botton on the front of the machine, which now just turns on the hard disk.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Many thanks

Madscot_uk 17:59 15 Jan 06

If everything else comes on have you checked the power cable from the psu to the hdrive, or changed it with say the lead to the cd drive to see if its a dodgy connection?

mosstoe 20:50 15 Jan 06

Thanks Madscot,

The power to tyhe hard drive is fine, it powers up once I press the normal on button at the front of my machine, i just can't work out why the rest of the machine comes on once the mains supply and power switch at the back is on.

wierd huh?

BioBob 21:00 15 Jan 06

I presume you have checked all the other cables for loose connections? I had a few issues with mine when i moved.

It could be a power management setting (Start, Settings, Control Panel, Power Options). Have you ever changed these?

Having now plugged the PC in and used the Windows Shutdown sequence, i presume it now starts up fine (assuming you dont turn the PSU off at the back?).

If you have to turn the PSU off each time and this issue anoys you then it may well be a BIOS option - check the mobo manual but be careful not to make any fatal changes! If it persists, post your mobo make and model number, and OS and I or someone maybe able to find out more.

mosstoe 22:29 15 Jan 06

Hi Bio BOb,

Yeah all cables are connected and I haven't changed any power management seettings. When I shut down using windows, it's logs me off and the hard drive shuts off, but the PSU, lights and CD drive remain on until i turn off the PSU.

I'm not sure what a MOBO is, can you shed some light there? I used to be able to check the BIOS settings by pressing the escape key on start up but now that option isn't there either.

Starting to wonder if my machine was highjacked during the move and replaced with a dud.

Mosstoe

BioBob 22:49 15 Jan 06

Interesting :)

Mobo is short for Motherboard.

Most motherboards allow access to the BIOS by pressing the Delete key during boot up.

What you are describing sounds more like the machine is going into Hibernate mode or similar - please check in the Power Options screen to see what it says in there.

If that doesnt help, please let me know the motherboard, and which Operating System you are using ? Win XP home etc.

mosstoe 23:00 15 Jan 06

Hi biobob,

Hibernate mode isn't enabled and you're right, it was the delete key i used ot be able ot press.

My operatiing system is XP Prefessional, 2002 service pack 2.

Not sure how to find the name of my motherboard though and think I've thrown the box it came in away.

howard63 06:22 16 Jan 06

open the box and read the mobo logo - even if only a series of numbers/letters show these entered into google should reveal the make and model no. One way of getting into the bios if all else fails is to remove the ribbon cable to the hard drive. When no os is found hit control/alt/delete and then the delete key during bootup.

BioBob 09:13 16 Jan 06

To make life easier, download AIDA32 from here click here. Run the program and it should tell you what mobo you have. We can then get somewhere i hope :)

mosstoe 09:35 16 Jan 06

You guys are great, I'm at work today so will download the MOBO finder and go from there.

All the best

mosstoe 21:10 16 Jan 06

Hi guys,

The info that application gave on my MOBO is

Motherboard ID 62-P130-001368-00101111-040201-VIA_K7$K7VT2130K7VT2 BIOS P1.30
Motherboard Name ASRock K7VT2

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, LAN
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset KT266A

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name ASRock Inc.
Product Information click here
BIOS Download click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…