Strange PC problem, keeps freezing randomly

erkmatrix 11:04 10 Jul 09

Hi my pc has been doing some very strange things of late, I've tested for viruses and none show up using avira free. I've done scans also with super anti spyware and malewarebytes and nothing changes. I'm on windows XP home and I originally thought it was a photoshop problem as it froze every time I was in there , the cursor would vanish and when I clicked the screen it would say program not responding in the bar at the top. But it also does it in Firefox browser too and Opera I also tried with.

But this is the strange part it happened a couple of weeks ago and all this week it didn't happen at all and worked fine in photoshop too but now today its back. I don't have anything else open or different to the times it didn't happen so can't work out what the hell it is that's causing it, it cannot be a lack of memory as I originally though, I've got lots of that available for it to run large files.

Anyone have any clues.

birdface 11:12 10 Jul 09

Oldish computer maybe air vents are blocked if so inside would need cleaning also.Mind you it would not work ok for a week then start playing up again.
Maybe try Driver Max in case any of your drivers are needing updated.

I am Spartacus 11:24 10 Jul 09

Could be faulty memory. The MS Diagnostics Tool will test it click here

clock 18:32 10 Jul 09

Hello junipaire,

Don't want to worry you as I know mine is and extreme case, but I was having all sorts of odd behaviour, like you, with my 6 year old computer and it turned out to be leaky capacitors on my motherboard! Decided to upgrade and get a more powerful machine, took possession of new computer a week ago, sticking with Windows XP Home still!!

Good luck with finding your problem,

Clock

citadel 19:01 10 Jul 09

it could be the psu as a slight drop on the rails causes a freeze, often there are no error messages. more chance if its a cheap and nasty psu that often comes with a pc package.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…