//some 3rd party need geo

Strange noises on shutdown (maybe HDD?)

Batch 10:31 23 Jun 06

I recently purchased and installed XP Home SP2 on my old Mesh Athlon 1100. At the same time I partitioned the HDD (Western Digital UATA66, 20Gb) into 3 logical drives.

Now, on shutdown, it sounds as if the system tries to power down the drive 3 times (3 distinct clicks). Also, if the machine is shutdown too quickly after ceasing use (e.g. not left for 10-15 seconds first), there is a short high pitch screech after the 3 clicks (the screech doesn't seem to emanate from the on board speaker).

The system appears to boot and operate OK.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the real cause / source of the clicks / screech?

Graham ® 10:55 23 Jun 06

If you are happy to do so, open up the PC and listen using a rolled up sheet of A4 paper. You should be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

If it is the hard drive, you should back-up all the important stuff right away.

Batch 08:41 27 Jun 06

Having disconnected all of the other drives to try and isolate the sounds, the "screeching" noise seems to have been resolved (even after reconnecting all).

The 3 clicks on shutdown (instead of the usual 1) from the Western Digital HDD still remains. I can only assume that this is due to the disk being partioned into 3 drives. Can anyone explain why this might happen as I've never come across it before. It sounds as if it tries to park the heads 3 times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…