Strange noises coming from computer

Baslla321 16:37 18 Dec 03

I am having unusual noises coming from my computer, like I am frying a steak or something. It's not very loud and strong but its continous since about an hour ago. I tried restarting but it came back. Any possible suggestions please?

Gaz 25 16:39 18 Dec 03

HDD Clappered,

Or even a fan....

But ensure its not the hdd first.

Remove the internal power cable from the HDD, and see if it is quiet.

Gongoozler 16:43 18 Dec 03

Hi Baslla321, take the side off your computer, get a sheet of A4 paper, roll it up to make a tube about a foot long and an inch diameter. Hold one end to your ear, and hold the other end near the various possible sources of noise and you will soon know which one it is.

Taw® 16:59 18 Dec 03

forgive me gongoozler for having a chuckle. Its just that in a forum that sees a vast amount of technical information this brought a real smile to my face. No offence meant just good natured humour

Gaz 25 17:08 18 Dec 03

Or use a stethascope.

Or however that is spelt.

That how I discovered by Death Star was going.

LOL.

Gongoozler 17:08 18 Dec 03

Hi Taw®. The more good natured humor the better ;-). The thing I like about the rolled up paper is that it is cheap, I generate loads of it scrap from my printer, when dry it's a good insulator, and if it hits something fast moving, it collapses before any serious damage is done to my ear.

Stuartli 17:12 18 Dec 03

Best be prepared. Just in case it is your HDD get a backup smartish.

Then, if the HDD is on its last legs and they all fail eventually, you will have a minor rather than a major trauma...:-)

HDD prices per GB these days is almost stupidly cheap compared to one or two years ago; I remember paying £64 for an 8.4GB Samsung model in 1999 or 2000 - recently I bought a Western Digital 60GB with three year warranty for £66. The 80GB version with one year warranty was the same price.

Two weeks later the 80GB three year warranty version dropped to the same price...:-(

Baslla321 17:14 18 Dec 03

OK it sems less now. My PC is only two months old!!XP Home and under guarantee. Thanks for your suggestions.

johnnyrocker 17:15 18 Dec 03

manufacturer?

johnny.

Baslla321 17:51 18 Dec 03

Dell Dimension 4600

Stuartli 17:59 18 Dec 03

Age has nothing to do with it - a hard drive could have been dropped at any time....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5