Strange noises

Cam123 20:34 17 Feb 06

At random times my computer wil be running smoothly and then suddenly i will hear a clicking noise from inside the case , after this a messgae appears saying windows will *!@: down to protect itself. I was wandering what the clicking nosie could be coming from , and would i need to replace it ?
Any help would be much appreciated

Big Elf 20:36 17 Feb 06

Clicking noise could be coming from a hard drive that's starting to fail.

You should be able to download a disk testing tool from the manufacturers website to check if this is the case.

Big Elf 20:37 17 Feb 06

P.S. Just in case make sure you have your data backed up.

Ray5776 20:38 17 Feb 06

replace it

Cam123 20:39 17 Feb 06

that would make sence if it was a hrd drive fault , i usually get disk boot errors , so perhaps replacing my hard drive would be the best thing to do?

Jak_1 20:39 17 Feb 06

Try taking off the cover and see if you can track down the noise. Wise to follow Big Els's advice on backing up data!

Cam123 20:43 17 Feb 06

its coming from the right hand side , around where the hard drive is

Gongoozler 20:44 17 Feb 06

The you should as a matter of urgency back up all your important files. If, as is quite likely, your hard drive suddenly fails it will be almost impossible to recover any data from it. If you open the case, and use a sheet of A4 paper rolled into long tube about 25mm diameter, you can then put one end to your ear and use the other end to locate the source of the noise.

A good quality 80G hard drive costs about £30 click here, and the manufacturer of most hard drives will have a downloadable utility to enable you to transfer all the programs and data from you old (and hopefully still working) drive to the new one.

Totally-braindead 20:47 17 Feb 06

I would do the backup as suggested and also download the tools from the hard drive manufacturer also as suggested, Seagate drives use Seatools Maxtor use Maxblast etc.

Big Elf 20:58 17 Feb 06

Based on what you've now said to clarify the problem I would do the back up first before the disk test.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…