strange message on start up

suzie005 10:28 23 Sep 03

i got Trend Chip Away Virus (R) on guard.floppy disk(s) fail (40).pressed F1 to continue and got into windows np.i use AVG and only time i've used Trend is for the online scanner.dunno wot it's telling me.pc is 2 years old and i'm running ME if that's any help.

sue

hugh-265156 10:46 23 Sep 03

not sure if this will help but have a look click here

DieSse 10:50 23 Sep 03

It's telling you the floppy disk drive has failed.

suzie005 11:16 23 Sep 03

well i tried the drive ( it's hardly been used in 2 years).at first when i tried to access a floppy the pc froze.restarted and it does work of sorts but it's very slow and not making the right noises.the light isn't on either.i'll have a look again later on and see if i can do owt with it.checked out floppy disc drive and contollers in device manager and it says that everything is ok.why is that and why did i get the trend message if i don't use it?

DieSse 23:19 23 Sep 03

The Chip Away AV message is from the BIOS - it's a Virus protection that's used to prevent chanes to the BIOS, and not connected with your regular AV package. If you look in the BIOS you'll no doubt see that it's enabled.

The floppy disk fail message comes during the POST tests when the computer first starts up (a rudimentary check to see that all the parts of the system seem to be there and functioning. It clearly didn¡t think the floppy drive was.

Device Manager is a different kettle of fish altogether, and merely reports that it thinks the floppy drve software is installed and working OK - It's not an actual test of the drive at all.

Most likely your floppy drive has failed - new ones are remarkably cheap and dead simple to replace. Before you do so, just check that the cable to it, and onto the motherboard from it, are plugged in securely. ake them of and plug them in again to make sure.

Also make sure that the BIOS is set up for the correct kind of floppy drive - 3.5" 1.44Mb capacity.

suzie005 16:14 01 Oct 03

am in the process of sorting it out folks.it's still under warranty.not having much luck cos the pump's gone on the washer as well.

sue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…