Strange looking MS Word file Icon/pic when etc.

Giggle n' Bits 01:33 16 Dec 03

Did a file search in WinXP to find one of my MS Word documents and noticed that there was a duplicated word file in the search result that had some strange symbols to the name of the word doc I wanted.

E;g As an example, the name I of the word document I wanted to open and work on was suppose to be Christmas party plan but this using these odd symbols not related to the name were as the followng looks:-

~$hristmas party plan

Can or does anyone know what or why this as happend. Also the Word doc itme in the list was faint, which I think is suppose to be a hidden folder/file ?

Main concern is hte ~ & the $ that replaces the C for Christmas. Is XP or Office/Word corrupt ?

temp003 03:46 16 Dec 03

It's just Word's backup copy. When you work on a document in Word, Word makes a "timed" backup of the document at regular intervals (which you can configure). In case the computer crashes or Word is not closed normally, you can find the document in Word's default backup folder, or when you next open Word, Word will tell you about the last backup copy and ask you whether you want to retrieve it.

Otherwise, once you exit or close Word properly in the normal way (so that the open document is properly saved and closed), the backup copy will disappear.

So if you save your Christmas Party Plan document and close the document, do a search again and you won't find the strangely named document.

Giggle n' Bits 11:40 16 Dec 03

Thanks M8 temp003 is this related to the normal.dot template ?

temp003 14:23 16 Dec 03

Not really. Normal.dot is just the default template for Word with your settings, although I think Word also makes a timed backup of normal.dot as well.

Taff36 15:18 16 Dec 03

temp003 is spot on with the response and is right about the normal.dot as well. If you open any word document you will find the "tilde" ~ backup in the same directory by using explorer whilst it is open.

If you find ~ versions whilst Word is closed you can delete them quite safely. They are just taking up space on your hard disc.

Giggle n' Bits 23:38 17 Dec 03

Sorted out and understood the ~ & the £ interesting eh.

A Trick for you to work out:-

In a new blank document of MS Word, type in the following as below:-

=rand(200,99)

wait a few seconds or then press enter.

You may have seen this somewhere before and also to you both I send a electric Xmas Card.
Have your speakers on and it may take a few mins to open

click here

Merry Xmas guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos