Strange Lockups

arear 20:54 16 Jul 03

I havr built two identical computers (except the network cards).
Theyre bout setup the same in win XP. As a test I transfered 18gb of stuff across the network to each. one PC can handle it fine but the other will not. The problem PC locks up randomly through the transfer.
At first I assumed it was the network card as this is the only thing that was different. I tried an external USB adapter and removed the PCI one but that made no difference.
Then I tried a fresh windows install but that did no good either, same problem occured.
I then swapped the HDD for an older one and re installed windows but still no joy.

I am gonna swap the RAM next but doubt this is the cause.

Any suggestions to what it could be or some software thats free and can run a full diagnostic or something?

if you take the known good NIC from the system that worked and put it in the bad system will it work? try that and you (we) will be able to tell if the problem lies elsewhere in the system or if it is the card or its driver causing the problem.

arear 23:12 16 Jul 03

Its not the network card thats causing the problem.
Ive changed the ram too to no effect...
doin the processor tomorrow.

arear 11:25 17 Jul 03

nothing seems to make ant difference

arear 14:54 17 Jul 03

Ive swapped the PSU ans CPUs over and the same computer still crashes when transfering the files.
What are the chances of the motherboard causing this lockup?

King Diamond 15:03 17 Jul 03

Have you tried tranferring the data in smaller packets? Maybe 1gb at a time if possible.

Gaz 25 16:41 17 Jul 03

Maybe its windows.

arear 00:04 18 Jul 03

Ive made 2 computers with identical setups, only one of them crashes with the transfer. Ive tried swapping in the HDD that I know works in the other computer but that made no difference...
Heres a list of all the things ive tried swapping, all of these work in one compter but the bad system still locks up.

Network card swapped
External network card used
Fresh windows install
HDD swapped
RAM Swapped
CPU swapped
PSU swapped
Video card swapped.

Tomorrow I rip out the motherboards and swap them too!
any other suggestions if that doesnt work appary from throwing the thing out the window!?!?!?

arear 00:07 18 Jul 03

Ive made 2 computers with identical setups, only one of them crashes with the transfer. Ive tried swapping in the HDD that I know works in the other computer but that made no difference... Heres a list of all the things ive tried swapping, all of these work in one compter but the bad system still locks up;
1. Network card swapped 2. External network card used 3. Fresh windows install 4. HDD swapped 5. RAM Swapped 6. CPU swapped 7. PSU swapped 8. Video card swapped.

Tomorrow I rip out the motherboards and swap them too! Any other suggestions if that doesnt work appart from throwing the thing out the window!?!?!?

woodchip 00:12 18 Jul 03

Is it the settings for graphics that's the problem, or reinstall Software and Driver

woodchip 00:28 18 Jul 03

use the drive for graphics from other card the driver version may be different

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…