Strange laptop problem . . any ideas ??

GH43 20:42 23 Mar 09

I am running XP on a dell laptop. AVG is active. It accesses a wireless AOL connection when at home. In the last couple of days the computer keeps making the clicking noise you associate with changing things on the net. Even more bizarrly, it starts playing in the background sets of audio adverts when no internet programme has been accessed.
System restore, rather worryingly, freezes at the point after you have selected a restore point and are ready to run - you click next and nothing happens.
Feels serious to me .....

Help .....

brundle 20:57 23 Mar 09

Try a restore in safe mode. Install a third-party firewall if you don't already run one - take careful note of what processes you allow access to the internet, and extremely careful note if you allow "iexplore.exe" and get the adverts again - if that's the case, something is hooked into Internet Explorer and is using it to bypass any firewall software.
Comodo Firewall appears to be highly thought of here, I link to an older version because v3+ includes a full security suite and is 30mb or so; click here

Use Malwarebytes Antimalware or Superantispyware to scan for anything AVG has missed click here . AVG has slipped to the bottom of the freeware antivirus charts for myself and some others here, there are too many things the free product doesn't protect against. Avast or Antivir Avira are better click here .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…