Strange laptop harddrive puzzle.

gengiscant 17:42 11 Feb 10

A friend bought his daughter's Acer Aspire 5920 laptop as it will not boot, all I am seeing is a black screen, occasionally I get the choose of safe mode, last known good config etc etc screen but clicking on any of them brings me back to the black screen.
So I thought I do a quick repair install of XP and this is where the puzzle comes in.

It goes the the stage of setup is loading screen, then gives me the choice of installing XP, going to the repair console or exiting setup.
On clicking on install XP I immediately get a scree saying: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives on this computer"
It then goes on to say make sure any harddrives are powered up and connected to the PC.and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct.This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
Press F3 to exit setup.

I have had the harddrive out of the laptop following the above and connected it to my desktop,copied all the personal stuff over, reinstall harddrive and tried again,same result.
Its a sata drive by the way.
Am I missing something here?

Eargasm 18:02 11 Feb 10

Have you tried Disabling SATA Native support from BIOS ?

Eargasm 18:04 11 Feb 10

Have a look here

click here

Eargasm 18:09 11 Feb 10

This may help

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 11 Feb 10

Setup did not find any hard disk drives on this computer

You have to load the sata drivers at the F6 prompt at the beginning of the setup routine.
XP expects them to be loaded from a floppy, for laptops with out a floppy drive either use a USB floppy or use nlite to slipstream XP and the drivers onto one CD.
click here

gengiscant 18:44 11 Feb 10

Thanks folks I have access to the harddrive.

Eargasm, your advice got me there, and I have also downlaoded the sata driver as advised by Fruit Bat /\0/\.
thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…