Strange laptop font

SHUNNA 21:47 04 Oct 04

My laptop with a display resolution of 800x600 has all text in some strange font which I find quite difficult to read. It has sections of individual letters in bold.
When set to 1024x768 everything is normal. O.S is Xp Pro, anyone Know how to fix?

Diodorus Siculus 08:07 05 Oct 04

It is probably the same font but it cannot be enlarged to the 800x600 resolution.

Or do you have seperate accounts set up - one for default resolution and one for 800x600? If so, try different fonts.

This is done by right clicking on the desktop and choosing properties.

SHUNNA 10:19 05 Oct 04

Thanks diodorus, but don`t understand what you mean by seperate accounts, can you explain?

Diodorus Siculus 11:50 05 Oct 04

I think they are called accounts (or profiles?) - you know, with XP you can set up different users.

When you have it on 800x600 is it just by changing the resolution manually? If so, just ignore my comments re. profiles.

Why not try a few other fonts and see how good they are at both settings?

My win2k machine is set at Tahoma 8pt - probably the default as I don't remember changing them. Try that one, or a few others and by trial and error you may get a result.

SHUNNA 12:24 05 Oct 04

Yes Diodorus, when it`s on 800 x 600 res. I selected it manually in display settings. Likewise, it is currently set to Tahoma, so will try some others to see if I can improve things.

Since posting this thread I have visited the Packard Bell users site and noted a reply on a different model and display problem, saying that TFT displays do not respond as well as CRT displays to changes to resolution settings. And that the optimum resolution for 14/15 inch TFT screens is 1024 x 768, so maybe mine is just behaving normally.

Diodorus Siculus 14:45 05 Oct 04

Yes, they generally have a preferred setting - if you are happy with the higher setting, then stick with it. But if you need the 800x600, then maybe finding a correct font will do it for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…