Strange HDD, internal=clicks external=silent???

Gaz 25 20:08 21 Apr 04

This is one hell of an odd problem.

Im currently running a Seagate.

Now as you know two maxtor 8mb cache 80gig drives failed on me.

Got another one which developed the same clicking!!!! :-0

So thus I got a seagate. Going ok for now.

Now the Maxtor I have put in a HDD external caddy. And guess what? Perfectly silent.

Whipped it out, placed it internally where my seagate is. Clicks = clunks and sounds like its gonna go bang.

But in the external caddy its silent as hell, cannot even hear the drive, but it works? :-0

All was set-up on the PC, the only thing is I didnt install the so called optional ATA133 drivers on the gigabyte disk? Is that what I should have done?

i dont get it at all, can anyone suggest reasons why the drive is silent as anything when its in an external case, but not when internally on a base unit?

Whats the fault, Im baffled!

Gaz 25 20:11 21 Apr 04

Hey this is odd, I cannot even hear the drive in the external caddy, but its seriously loud in the base unit when its placed in? Whats going on?

And for some reason I can hear my seagate (supposed to be super silent) only just outside the case? Is this a duffed mobo or PSU?

Gongoozler 20:18 21 Apr 04

I know of one power supply that had a habit of knackering hard drives. I never did find out why, but I rebuilt the computer for the owner using a 400W Qtech power supply from Ebuyer click here and it has been well behaved since. But then I did also replace the motherboard and processor at the same time.

Gaz 25 13:03 23 Apr 04

I know. Thats what I am wondering.

I might just replace my PSU, since the Mobo is of good quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…