Strange Harware Fault.

slimbo51 18:50 16 May 05

Since upgrading my M/Board to an (Abit AN7), been getting a strange start up situation.

I power my comp down at night including switching mains power off.

When I switch the mains back on again, if I try and start the computer up straight away it goes into a shutdown, and the internal beeper makes a continual on/off beeping noise. (not an error code warning from bios though)

If I leave the comp to "Warm Up" for about 15 min it runs perfectly normally.

There are no problems whatsoever when the comp is running, no Bsods or random shutdowns or restarts.

Got a good PSU with plenty of power.

As it started with the M/board replacment can only assume somthing to do with this.

Anyone else had anything similar....?

Many thanks for any idear's.

DieSse 19:17 16 May 05

Continual beeping is usually either a temperature, or fan, or DC voltage from the PSU fault. It's unlikely to be temperature, so I would be checking the fans all start up and run fast, and then trying another PSU.

The PSU could have bad capacitors (for instance), which are talking some time to charge up enough to get the CD up to the right levels.

DieSse 19:18 16 May 05

I guess it could also be a motherboard fault, too - though what you would check for is anybodys guess.

DieSse 19:19 16 May 05

Also take out all the plug-n itmes and reseat them in their connectors - maybe 2 or 3 times, to wipe the connectors clean.

slimbo51 19:21 16 May 05

All fans start up ok and appear to run at normal speed from start up.

Sorry forgot to mention have tried a new 550w spare PSU when it first happened, made no difference.

I agree if a temp prob should be present all the time. Running temp value is around 45c which is well inside its operating parameters.

slimbo51 19:25 16 May 05

Just read my heading.

What the "ell" is a harware Fault.

DieSse 21:11 16 May 05

It's like a sofware fault, but different

? ;-)))

slimbo51 18:41 17 May 05

Bump.........

DieSse 18:57 17 May 05

Have you plugged/unplugged all items (cards/RAM/CPU), as i suggested - a bad contact when cold can go away when warmed up a little - a very common problem.

Try the RAM first would be my suggestion.

DieSse 18:58 17 May 05

Have you plugged/unplugged all items (cards/RAM/CPU), as i suggested - a bad contact when cold can go away when warmed up a little - a very common problem.

Try the RAM first would be my suggestion.

Dorsai 19:37 17 May 05

It sounds like a bad connection somwhere.

One the PC has been on for a while all the bits warm up and expand, and the dodgly connection is made good. It might be a bit that is not plugged in fully, a small hair-line crack, or a dry joint.

Try removing all items and re-inserting them. If that does not do it, return Mobo under warranty. If there is no warranty, just dont unplug from the mains, shutdown, but leave the mains on.

My pc is on and running 24/7/365 with no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…