Strange happenings

Scubaman 22:22 28 Oct 05

Hi, I have just upgraded to a P4 chip with 1MB of RAM and XP Home. I tried to use the old HDD with the OS on but it wouldn't have it. I installed everything from scratch, downloaded some 30 updates from the microsoft site. I then installed the SP2 disk then found I couldn't access the internet or email and I lost the quick launch icons from the tool bar, the network icons from the control panel and my sound. It would download the updates for my NAV and NPF but nothing else. I have deleted the SP2 files now and it all works ok. Do I really need the SP2 disk or am I doing something wrong?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:41 28 Oct 05

There is a patch for prescott P4 and SP2 problems on the update site.

Or the problem with SP2 is installed while virus / spyware on system.

Scubaman 19:06 29 Oct 05

I have been to the microsoft download site and downloaded the updates it said my computer needed. I downloaded and installed and guess what, yep no internet connection, no sound no quck launch icons and no icons in the network connections window in control panel, and god knows what else. I have deleted SP2 3 times now, I have disabled the Firewall and NAV and disabled the modem connection but still the same outcome. I can find no upgrades for the P4 chip as suggested. Any ideas please or shall I just forget about SP2? It all worked fine with my old AMD 950 chip.

Scubaman 19:07 18 Nov 05

As I have had no further response I am posting this as resolved and will try again for any help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…