Strange hanging

Destyre 18:39 16 Apr 08

This has been happening for a while now and it's driving me crazy.

Often and inexplicably while performing certain actions on my desktop, things will hang.

Usually it happens for a few seconds when and after I browse folders on my hard drives (I have 2... the main drive is system and is 40gb, the second is 250gb and is for programs etc). Also it happens when I play a game, or when something is loading, while I'm watching a movie, even when I am running nothing and the computer screen is just the desktop wallpaper... it seems like certain things trigger it more than others, but there is a certain randomness that I can't quite put my finger on also.

The reason that I mentioned the hard drives before is that I think it might be something to do with them. This definately didn't happen before I added the second drive/Windows Vista. Most notably is that I can hear it happen. It sounds like a disc spinning within the computer, searching for something (the hanging occurs at this point) and then suddenly, like clockwork, it will make a different sound a few seconds later, kind of like it is reading something else, and the computer will un-hang. Certain things don't hang, like the mouse pointer (which will turn into an eggtimer icon while this is happening

Sorry if this is quite confusing info, just trying to explain the problem as detailed as I can. If anyone can tell me what is wrong, or suggest how to find out, I would appreciate it. It's driving me nuts.

Also worth mentioning that I have tried disc cleanups, defrags etc with no improvement. It seems to me that this is a hardware problem, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

MCE2K5 19:15 16 Apr 08

It is the second H/D that is going to sleep, click here info is in the Link,

I am not using my Vista PC at the moment (Rather Painful Shoulder), Can't pick the Da*mn thing up at the moment, It's in another room with no power socket.

Somebody else using Vista Might be able to tell you where the setting is, I had same trouble with mine.

Jim_F 20:02 16 Apr 08

I think what you are looking for is:

Control Panel Home - System and Maintenance -
Power Options - Change Plan Settings -
Change Advanced Plan Settings - Hard Disk -
Turn of hard disk after.

woodchip 20:06 16 Apr 08

How full is the C:\ drive i.e how much free space on the drive?

Destyre 20:22 16 Apr 08

Ah thanks, I set this option

Turn off hard disk after: never

from 20 minutes. I've been using my pc for a couple of hours now almost with no hiccups, but will test it a bit more before I consider it resolved (just to be on the safe side). So far so good though, thanks fellas!

@ Woodchip: of the 37 gb total on drive C, I have about 13 gb free (roughly 70% of it is in use)

That's really as much as I can free up. Vista clocks in at 9 gb almost, by itself.

As I say, I think the issue is ok now, will repost in 24 hours to confirm.

Thanks again, been driving me nuts.

woodchip 20:23 16 Apr 08

do a defrag on the drive

Destyre 19:02 17 Apr 08

Thanks for all the help, it turns out that it was indeed the drive going to sleep.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…