Strange Freeze-up

Quilljar 12:09 17 May 06

I have a WinXP Home fully updated desktop, and am an experienced user. From yesterday, I have a weird problem. When I open a particular folder, (one with two wmv files in,) the computer slows down and finally feezes. I cannot close the window nor move it. This does not happen with any other folder windows.
I have run CounterSpy and I have AVG Pro I do not think it is an attack of any kind, but maybe something strange in the registry. I have run System Restore back to a date when this freeze did not occur, but it still happens. I have to re-boot to get out of it.
Any suggestions?

remind 12:13 17 May 06

does the folder open ok in safe mode? are both files fully working? if windows is trying to generate thumbnails from damaged files could be an explanation

Quilljar 13:22 17 May 06

In Safe Mode, opening folders or trying to run WMV files is terribly slow still. It will take about three minutes for a folder to open. Then it will not close, The mouse works but the close icon on a window does not respond. Meanwhile, the mouse arrow turns into a small horizontal line with arrows at each end, (the same as when you move a vertical box edge sideways!)
I am corresponding here with my laptop...

Are video file supposed to be able to run in Safe Mode? I have never needed to try before.They certainly don't at this moment on mine.

remind 13:38 17 May 06

Video files should work in safe mode. Sounds like your pc is struggling with some cpu hogging task in the background. get process explorer and/or use task manager to see what process is the culprit. process explorer will give more information.
click here

try in safe mode and normal use

Quilljar 21:31 17 May 06

You were right it was a large corrupted wmv file. I spent about two hours waiting for it to be deleted, but it eventually went.
I am most grateful for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…