strange folders

howard60 08:22 25 Jul 05

I have been asked to get a pc working properly again after multiple spyware trojan attacks etc. I have cleaned all suspicious muck off it but it is still fairly slow. The problem I think is that the hard drive has about 30 folders which do not have recognisable names but consist of about 20 letters and numbers. They all appear to be something to do with failed sp1 loading attempts. It is not possible to delete these folders either normally or in safe mode or administrator. Does anyone know how to remove them without doing a reformat and reinstall. It is a dreaded Packard Bell system - I keep saying I will not touch them but here I go again. Any comments would be appreciated as usual.

User-312386 08:40 25 Jul 05

lets not blame packard bell for a virus attack etc etc

What is the operating system and where are these folders?

howard60 08:44 25 Jul 05

Operating System is xp home - folders are on the C: drive root. I am not blaming PB for the virus attack just the awkwardness of their recovery prog to put things right.

User-312386 08:50 25 Jul 05

have you carried out a check disc and defrag and firstly a disc clean up?

howard60 08:53 25 Jul 05

yes all carried out and everything appears to be ok but it will not let me install sp2. It fails to backup correctly and then hangs and will go no further.

smudge101 08:56 25 Jul 05

If you are not sure about deleting these folders you could try renaming them one at a time eg. abcdef123 to abcdef123OLD. If there are no problems with sytem errors you should be safe to delete the folders.

I have found that most files and folder that will not delete will go once they are renamed.

howard60 20:50 25 Jul 05

these will not allow renaming and none of the progs than can be downloaded do anything either. The files are locked but I can find no way to unlock them.

User-312386 21:18 25 Jul 05

they sound like the failed install/uninstall folders of SP2 and cant be deleted until SP2 is installed

Catch 22 here i think

howard60 21:20 25 Jul 05

it does look like catch 22

woodchip 21:48 25 Jul 05

right click on a folder and see if it says Read only with a tick in a box. If it does remove the tick then retry to remove them

howard60 19:24 28 Jul 05

these all appear to be failed installs for sp2. Nothing seems to work to get rid of them. I have tried several progs that remove in use files during boot up but none work. As nobody seems to be able to help I will close this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…