Strange entry in the boot.ini file

powerless 23:32 11 Oct 03

Windows XP SP1 and in the boot.ini file....

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=signature(1bfc1bfb)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

signature(1bfc1bfb)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

What is the "signature(1bfc1bfb)"?

Yesterday i did reformat and reinstall and have only just noticed this.

Also in msconfig when checking the boot paths. XP tells me that:

signature(1bfc1bfb)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Does not point to a valid operating system and would I like to remove it?

I will not remove it as i may not be able to boot into XP.

Scanned for a virus etc but nothing.

Talking of a virus, Norton AV 2004 has an option to "Load Auto-Protect during system boot" which is different to "Start Auto-Protect when Windows starts up" Could it be a way of checking for a boot virus?

Computer boots and runs ok but what is the "signature(1bfc1bfb)"?

Rtus 23:39 11 Oct 03

Maybe its the way Xp verifies youve the same Bios/ mobo, etc combination ?

powerless 23:45 11 Oct 03

No. As the boot.ini file has always been as above but without "signature(1bfc1bfb)"

The hardware etc settings on XP (for activation) is in the wpa.db file.

hugh-265156 23:49 11 Oct 03

not sure,mine for xp home is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/cmdcons (you may not have this bit though)

powerless 23:52 11 Oct 03

No i do not have WRC bit.

PhilipH 00:03 12 Oct 03
  powerless 00:07 12 Oct 03

oooo

"The System BIOS or controller hosting the boot partition on which Windows is installed, does not support INT-13 EXTENSIONS, or has the INT-13 Extensions option disabled, and the partition on which you installed Windows is either larger than ~7.8 gigabytes (GB) in size, or the ending cylinder number for that partition is higher than 1024." I think that it is the one.

powerless 00:31 12 Oct 03

I actually deleted a partition so i think that made it add "signature(1bfc1bfb)" when i created another partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…