strange email

cassius.uk 21:19 25 Oct 06

Hi I checked my work email, and got a strange email, Im concerned it may be a virus. I check my email using a webmail version of outlook on the companies server. I can check my email on any computer as long as I have my username and password. There are no attachments is there anyway I could get a virus from it.

It was all in foreign and directed me to click here

I have not been to that link and still have the email online, but am worried as this is my work email, and dont know how anybody could have got it. Please advise what you think I should do.

Should I try to translate it using babbelfish?, your advice would be great

Thank you

g0slp 21:22 25 Oct 06

I'd just delete it. (Standard rule for anything strange & unexpected).

The action of clicking on embedded links in such emails potentially opens you up to all sorts of nasties.

Technotiger 21:25 25 Oct 06

I agree with g0sip - just delete it. Always delete 'strange' emails!

Vangeliska 21:27 25 Oct 06

Don't think you'll get a virus from the email or the link, I think he's trying to sell you something connected with cows - in Portugese!

VoG II 21:27 25 Oct 06

Delete.

cassius.uk 21:29 25 Oct 06

This is what it says when translated using babelfish(it seems it its portugese)

"Cabanha San Francisco informs: Auction saw InterNet with transmission to the direct living creature of the headquarters of cabanha. Day 4 of November of 2006 to the 14 hours. They will be vendas bovine and Creole horses. It makes its I register in cadastre and I concur the toasts. It has access the site click here e good businesses"

Anyone know what it means its very strange. I have kept it in my online inbox to show the I.T guys at work, but is there anyway I can make sure I dont have a virus, trojan etc. - other than normal spyware virus scan?

Dumble452 08:29 26 Oct 06

I go along with the previous advice just delete it. I assume you are reading it on your home computer since presumably your work computer is protected by your IT people. If you have a good anti-virus program you should be OK but I've found A Squared (free) very good for finding trojans etc. You can download it from here click here

Mad Mick 08:55 26 Oct 06

Why do you ask for advice on this forum and then ignore the advice you were given to delete it?? You will deserve all the nasties you get if you continue to disregard the advice to delete anything suspicious!!

cassius.uk 18:37 28 Oct 06

Thanks everybody I did delete it, I dont disregard your advice in fact I highly respect it. sorry

All the best

wee eddie 18:45 28 Oct 06

Once you have opened it, the Spammer will know that that address is live, and you will get more from that source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…