Strange email...

ptrafc 18:33 20 Oct 05

I got an email today from '[email protected]' saying: Your e-mail to [email protected] was scanned by
SurfControl E-mail Anti-Virus Agent and has detected the Virus: [email protected]!zip.
The Virus has been cleaned.

from Postmaster@ protected-domain>

It also contains an attachment (unopened) called 'Part 1.2'

I have not sent an email to the stated address.

I have McAfee Internet Security, and I am quite clued up on how to stay safe on the net, but this email has baffled me. My email is pretty safe from spam and I've never received any spam to my address. I am not sure if this is any type of 'virus' or 'hoax' email, or if it's something genuine.
Any help will be much appreciated.

VoG II 18:34 20 Oct 05

Probably a virus - delete.

skeletal 19:01 20 Oct 05

I get phases when I get similar emails…in some cases lots of them. I think it happens when someone has your address in their system; they get a virus and the virus then spams loads of others using all the addresses it’s got from the infected PC (including yours). The others then get an infected message that they think is from you and send you a note to say you’ve sent a virus.

You will probably get a few more, and it will all go quiet when the person realises they have a virus.

To be sure though, never open/be very careful openeing an email that you aren’t expecting.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…