strange discolouring on my LCD monitor

mec13 12:34 26 Dec 06

My monitor has started to show strange discolouring after about an hour of use. It's more noticable in word, on a white background, and appears intermtantly.

The background seems to take on a green or blue tint, flickering etc, then back to normal again. The monitor is a 2 yr old LCD screen, OS is xphome/sp2 etc. One thing I have noticed is the screen does seem to get quite warm at the top, after long use, 'gaming etc' and by that I mean windows desktop card games, not those video games etc. I have checked the vents for any blockage, and the connections, and all seems well.

Does this fault indicate my monitor is failing, or could it something else.

anskyber 12:37 26 Dec 06

Can you borrow another screen to rule out the graphics card?

mec13 13:00 26 Dec 06

I can but not a lcd screen, just my old crt monitor?

Could I just add, my monitor problem is a intermtant one, as it can go days with no problem at all, then next day it's happening all the time.

Fingees 13:05 26 Dec 06

I would try unplugging the monitor, and re plugging, as sometimes contacts can become slightly corroded.

Also if you can unplug and reseat your graphics card, it may just clean the contacts.

all the best

mec13 13:26 26 Dec 06

Monitor connection have been checked, admitted the graghic card, I havn't looked at. I did mention my concern about the heat generated from my monitor, how warm do these lcd screen get, after long use??, I'm just wondering if this is an indication of failing doom!

jack 14:40 26 Dec 06

You wrote
I did mention my concern about the heat generated from my monitor, how warm do these lcd screen get.
--------------o0o--------------------
The back light is at the top, so expect some warmth.
It is a fluorescent tube with its rectifier pack.
The dirty background is a Graphics card problem I would think.
Tell us more about the card - it is built in on the mother board or a separate item?

mec13 14:54 26 Dec 06

the graghic card was fitted as an upgrade almost a year ago from a ati9250 card to a ati9550 (I think) by Pc world. To be honest there was nothing wrong with the old card, and fitting the new card didn't seem to make any difference, I just went by advice given by a pc world technician, and had it fitted. The monitor problem only appeared recently, and as I say, intermitant.

mec13 14:54 26 Dec 06

the graghic card was fitted as an upgrade almost a year ago from a ati9250 card to a ati9550 (I think) by Pc world. To be honest there was nothing wrong with the old card, and fitting the new card didn't seem to make any difference, I just went by advice given by a pc world technician, and had it fitted. The monitor problem only appeared recently, and as I say, intermitant.

mec13 14:55 26 Dec 06

sorry about the repeated reply, interupted by my grandson

Gongoozler 15:52 26 Dec 06

In my experience, this sort of problem is often caused by the video cable getting crushed by the computer base unit pressing against a wall. Try flexing the cable, especially near the connector. If the cable is separate from the monitor, then try a new cable. If that doesn't help, then I regret to say that my main suspect is a component inside the monitor that has become sensitive to heat.

mec13 16:21 26 Dec 06

Thanks Gongoozler, jack mentioned the graphic card which I decided to check and found the card fan was full of fluf. I carried out an early 'spring clean'. If this clears the problem, good! if not, then the monitor is looking favourite, I suppose.

ps I was hoping Santa would bring me a new Monitor, alas Mrs Santa thinks they're a waste of money, oh well!

Thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac