Strange Computer Sounds?

afronaut 14:04 23 Dec 08

Hello,

I wondered if there was anyone who could help me solve a problem, which has been driving me mad for ages. My PC runs pretty quietly but has a habit of emmitting high-pitch chirps and tones during certain operations. Certain things like scrolling through a DOC or PDF file with the mouse-wheel cause it to start chirping away like a little insect, as does opening web pages. These things would be only minor annoyances to me but the biggest problem comes whenever I use a music sequencer like Cubase or even Wavelab - opening any programme designed to record audio input to the hard-drive causes it to emit quite an audible constant high-pitch tone.

I've ruled out the following possible causes:

- its not the CPU fan or any other fan, I've stopped them all for a few seconds and the sound is still there.

- its not the hard disk, I changed it and the problem continues. Also, the sound does not appear to be coming from the vicinity of the hard disk in the case.

- Its not the soundcard, I used it on an older machine and it works just fine.

I'm really fed up with this problem. I love PCs and I'd love to be able to use mine again for music but I can't stand this problem anymore. I'm considering buying a Mac for my next upgrade if I can't sort this out.

Thanks for your time,

Afronaut

SPEC:

AMD 5200+ Dual Core clocked at 2.7GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
XFX GeForce 8800 GT clocked at 640MHz, 512MB DDR3
E-MU 0404 PCI Soundcard
ASUS M2NPV-VM Motherboard

I am Spartacus 14:09 23 Dec 08

I have a MS wireless notebook optical mouse 3000 that makes that kind of noise. Apparently it's not uncommon and usually occurs when moving the mouse rather than the scroll wheel.

It doesn't do it on any of my MS Optical Mouse 2.0s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…