strange blocks of dots on monitor

Old Geeza 18:38 PM 11 Sep 12

Hi I have strange blocks of dots dancing around on my monitor, it is not dead pixels but can range from a checkerboard pattern to individual blocks of about 30 to 40 tiny dots in square formation, they are flashing, anybody got any idea please

Thanks

lotvic 18:45 PM 11 Sep 12

Last time I had random blocks of dots it was graphic card overheating. Test this by taking side of your pc and direct a room fan to the pc's inards and then see if problem still occurs. (I found that by leaving side off my tower even without an extra room fan I don't get the problem - keep meaning to sort it out permanently)

Yours might even be a loose lead so check it all out.

lotvic 18:46 PM 11 Sep 12

Oh, and reseat the graphic card as well, it might have worked loose.

Old Geeza 19:07 PM 11 Sep 12

the pc has onboard graphics, just changed the background and dots only showing on dark background and pictures

lotvic 21:55 PM 11 Sep 12

Pixellation square blocks appearing randomly. Seems definitely a graphics problem. Suggestions to try:

Check cables from pc to monitor.

Reseat the RAM, try it with one stick at a time.

Have you looked in Device Manager for yellow triangle with ! in. Maybe you could try updating the driver.

I presume this is a Tower Desktop pc? Have you had the side off and cleaned all dust and fluff out?

Can you try a separate graphic card (borrow or buy).

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple TV 'launching in September' plus patent filed for…