strange blocks of dots on monitor

Old Geeza 11 Sep 12

Hi I have strange blocks of dots dancing around on my monitor, it is not dead pixels but can range from a checkerboard pattern to individual blocks of about 30 to 40 tiny dots in square formation, they are flashing, anybody got any idea please

Thanks

lotvic 11 Sep 12

Last time I had random blocks of dots it was graphic card overheating. Test this by taking side of your pc and direct a room fan to the pc's inards and then see if problem still occurs. (I found that by leaving side off my tower even without an extra room fan I don't get the problem - keep meaning to sort it out permanently)

Yours might even be a loose lead so check it all out.

lotvic 11 Sep 12

Oh, and reseat the graphic card as well, it might have worked loose.

Old Geeza 11 Sep 12

the pc has onboard graphics, just changed the background and dots only showing on dark background and pictures

lotvic 11 Sep 12

Pixellation square blocks appearing randomly. Seems definitely a graphics problem. Suggestions to try:

Check cables from pc to monitor.

Reseat the RAM, try it with one stick at a time.

Have you looked in Device Manager for yellow triangle with ! in. Maybe you could try updating the driver.

I presume this is a Tower Desktop pc? Have you had the side off and cleaned all dust and fluff out?

Can you try a separate graphic card (borrow or buy).

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message