Strange behaviour with WinAmp and PDF files

Tabvla 10:28 06 Jun 06

Assume the following are active:

Browser : Firefox or IE
Media Player : WinAmp running Internet Radio
Task Manager > Performance visible

Visit a website that has a link that opens a PDF in a new browser window (IE) or a new tab (Firefox). Click on the link. The PDF opens. Now try to either click on "Back" or close the window (IE) or close the tab (Firefox).

The system goes into a temporary lock-up. If you monitor the Performance through Task Manager then you will see that the CPU usage is 100%. After about 30 seconds the CPU will be released and the action that you chose above will implement.

Is this behaviour peculiar to my specific setup or have other users experienced similar behaviour?

brundle 10:31 06 Jun 06

Nothing to do with Winamp. Remove and re-install Acrobat reader, or remove Acrobat altogether and use Foxit instead. Find both latest versions here click here

Tabvla 10:39 06 Jun 06

Hi brundle, thanks for the suggestion.

Acrobat may be the offender but it does have something to do with Acrobat and WinAmp because if I shutdown WinAmp the strange behaviour goes away and things return to normal.

It is only when WinAmp is running that Acrobat behaves in this way. So there must be some compatibility issue here.

brundle 10:54 06 Jun 06

Oh I see. Perhaps you could try taking out any unused plugins for Winamp, make sure your .pdf file association is looking for Acrobat in the right place, disable Acrobat-Speedup which loads on startup or some of the Acrobat plugins. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…