Strange behaviour after XP reinstall

Compassion 01:22 08 Sep 04

Recently the hard drive of my 2-year old Evesham laptop collapsed, and I sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced. They reinstalled WinXP along with SP1, but I'm now having some problems that I didn't have before, with the computer hanging on a regular basis.

A couple of times a day, Windows Explorer 'hangs' and closes (desktop goes blank except for my wallpaper). Clicking Start can also cause WE to close. Sometimes I get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a serious error and needs to close", sometimes not. Also, usually after one of these events, the ability to minimise a program by clicking it on the toolbar seems disabled.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows how to fix it, as googling + MS website have not been helpful.

Thanks

Giggle n' Bits 01:33 08 Sep 04

also have you got virus software installed & updated ?

Compassion 01:03 09 Sep 04

Thanks for the advice, Audio LaLa. I've checked all my drivers are up to date. I have AV, firewall + spyware software with latest updates.

Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring, with WE closing 4 times today during a 2-hour period, mainly when trying to open a folder, which is obviously extremely frustrating.

Could this behaviour be caused by hardware/reinstallation issues or is it more likely to be wacky Windows causing the problem?

C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…